William and Mary

J-1 Student

There are very specific regulations that must be followed for students on J-1 visas. The pages linked below have detailed information about these regulations. If you have questions, please make an appointment with an international advisor at the Reves Center.

  • Applying for a J-1 Visa
    • How to pay the required SEVIS fee
    • How to apply for a J-1 visa to enter the U.S.
  • Requesting a New DS-2019 (for current W&M students)
    • Replacement for lost, stolen or damaged DS-2019
    • Admitted to a new academic program at W&M
    • W&M in Washington Program
  • Changing Status to J-1
    • How to change status to J-1, if you are already in the U.S. in a different status
  • Maintaining Your Immigration & Academic Status
    • Course Underload
    • Leave of Absence/Withdrawal
    • Re-Admission after Leave of Absence/Withdrawal
    • Suspension/Probation/Dismissal
  • Employment and Internship Opportunities
    • Students: On-campus employment
    • Students: Academic Training; work authorization during or after the semester
    • Students: Off-Campus work authorization for economic hardship situations
    • Scholars: Employment
  • International Travel in J-1 Status
    • How to obtain a travel signature for re-entry to the U.S.
    • Automatic Visa Revalidation: return travel to the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean Islands
  • Extending Your DS-2019
    • Reasons for an extension
    • How to apply?
  • Two Year Home Residency Requirement
    • What is this requirement?
    • Am I required to go back home for two years upon completion of my program?
    • How to fulfill the requirement?
    • Procedures for waiving the requirement
  • J-2 Dependents and J-2 Visas
    • Visa and regulations for spouses and unmarried children (under age 21) of a J-1 visa holder