Per U.S. immigration law, a student in J-1 status who is unable to meet the program completion date on the Form DS-2019 may be granted an extension if the student has continually maintained status and if the delays are caused by compelling academic or medical reasons. Extensions based on academic reasons must be verified by the student's academic advisor. Extensions based on medical reasons must be verified by the academic advisor and a licensed medical physician.
The DS-2019 must be extended prior to the expiration date or the student will have to apply for reinstatement to Immigration.
DS-2019 Extensions are granted in maximum 12-month increments.
Legitimate Reasons for a DS-2019 Extension
- Addition of a major/minor or dual degree program
- Delays caused by unexpected research problems
- Delays caused by a change in research topic
- Delays caused by absence/change of required thesis committee members
- Delays in program due to a verified medical condition
Applying for DS-2019 ExtensionStep 1: Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to discuss an extension of your academic program.
Step 2: Ask your advisor to complete an Academic Advisor Support Memo for DS-2019 Extension (pdf), verifying your reason for the extension and the estimated time needed for your degree completion.
Step 3: Submit the following forms to the Reves Center no later than 2 weeks prior to the desired DS-2019 extension:
- Academic Advisor Support Memo for DS-2019 Extension (pdf)
- Updated financial documentation (e.g. Financial Certification Form for Fall 2013/Spring 2014 (pdf), bank statement, assistantship letter, etc.)
- DS-2019 request form (pdf)
Step 4: If your extension is approved, the Reves Center will authorize the extension in SEVIS. If it is not approved, the Reves Center will notify you and your academic advisor
Extending your DS-2019 for a New Program
If you are graduating on time, but will begin a new degree program at William & Mary, you also need to extend your DS-2019. To do this:
- Complete an DS-2019 request form
- Provide supporting items listed on the form: updated financial documentation and admission letter to the new program
- Submit all forms and supporting items to the Reves Center