J-2 Dependents and J-2 Visas
The spouses and unmarried children (under age 21) of a J-1 visa holder are eligible for J-2 visas. For the J-2 visa, they will need the following documents:
- a DS-2019 issued for J-2 dependent (if you are a current student or scholar, you will need to submit an DS-2019 Request Form to our office for the dependent DS-2019)
- a valid passport
- evidence of relationship to J-1 (e.g. marriage certificate or birth certificate)
- evidence of financial support (Certification of Financial Support, bank statement, assistantship or scholarship letter). You generally may use the same documentation as the J-1 unless it is more than 3 months old.
- visa application forms DS-156, DS-158, and for males between the ages of 16 and 79, the DS-157 as well.
Dependents of continuing students will also need:
- a valid travel signature (signatures valid for one year from date of signing)
- a W&M transcript (recommended for students)
- invitation or job offer letter from W&M or VIMS (recommended for scholars)
- a visa support letter (optional)
J-2s are not required to pay the SEVIS fee.
Check with your U.S. Consulate to see if they require any additional documents.