Why graduate school? Maybe you're seeking a terminal degree that qualifies you to accept a faculty position in higher education. Or you want to undertake a research experience that deepens your knowledge in an academic discipline. Or you're seeking to obtain credentials that qualify you for certain positions in the career you're pursuing.
Whatever your reasons, we recommend that you vet candidate graduate programs carefully in relation to your goals. A key difference between undergraduate and graduate study is the importance of the faculty you'll be working with. What kind of research are they doing, and is this a good match for your own interests? Who is a likely candidate for you to assist with her or his current research, and eventually serve as your project, thesis, or dissertation advisor?
Below we've grouped our graduate degree programs into several broad categories. We invite you to explore the programs that interest you, both on this website and in the web pages of the department or program offering the degree.
Humanities and Social Sciences
- American Studies: M.A., Ph.D.
- Anthropology with specialization in Historical Archaeology: M.A., Ph.D.
- Historical Anthropology: Ph.D.
- History: M.A., M.A./Ph.D.
- Psychology: M.A.
- Public Policy: M.P.P.
Natural and Computational Sciences
- Applied Science: M.S., Ph.D.
- Biology: M.A., M.S.
- Chemistry: M.A., M.S.
- Computer Science: M.S., Ph.D.
- Computer Science with specialization in Computational Operations Research: M.S.
- Computer Science with specialization in Computational Science: M.S., Ph.D.
- Physics: Ph.D.
- Physics with specialization in Computational Science: Ph.D.
- M.A. in American Studies/J.D. from the School of Law
- M.S. in Chemistry/Ph.D. in Applied Science
- M.P.P./J.D. from the School of Law
- M.P.P./M.B.A. from the Mason School of Business
- M.P.P./M.Ed. in Education
- M.P.P./Ed.D. in Education
- M.P.P./Ph.D. in Education
- M.P.P./M.S. in Computational Operations Research
- M.P.P./M.S. in Marine Science
- M.P.P./Ph.D. in Marine Science