Welcome to the Registration site for the 7th Annual Symposium for Pilgrimage Studies 2018
This page provides information regarding meeting highlights, travel, and lodging information as well as a link to the Registration and payment site.
- Friday, Public Lecture by Rebecca Bloom, University of Michigan, presenting her work on the project "Hyecho's Journey" (video), which examines the different ways the story of the extraordinary journey undertaken by the young Buddhist, Hyecho, in the year 721 is expressed.
- Saturday, Craig Kocher, University Chaplain and Jessie Ball duPont Chair of the Chaplaincy at the University of Richmond will share his insights into The Pilgrimage Program through the Office of the Chaplaincy at the University of Richmond that leads students on pilgrimage to various parts of the world three times a year.
Information on travel to the College of William & Mary can be found here. If you are travelling by plane, you may arrive at one of three airports; Newport News, Richmond, or Norfolk and then need to arrange transportation from there to your accommodations in Williamsburg. There are several possibilities for transportation from the airport:
- Tidewater Coach which has previously offered special rates to Symposium attendees.
- TaxiJose - who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or by cell or text at 757-206-3713 ($75 from Richmond; $45 from Newport News)
- Rideshare services such as Uber, Lyft, etc, may also be available.
There are numerous other lodging opportunities in the Williamsburg area. Lodging through Colonial Williamsburg can be found here and general resources for hotels in Williamsburg can be found here. For previous attendees, the Days Inn which we have recommended in the past is now closed.
Attendees are encouraged to stay at a hotel within walking distance of the William and Mary campus. The hotels of Colonial Williamsburg provide a shuttle bus that runs near the campus, although it will not start until later in the morning than our first panel session. Taxi service to campus is also available from local hotels.