Emily Hall of Williamsburg was the daughter of Professor John Lesslie Hall, who taught English and History at William & Mary. She enrolled with the first class of students to admit women in 1918. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1922 and a Master of Arts in 1923. She was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in 1922.
After completing her studies, Hall continued to live in Williamsburg and teach English at the university. She was an active member of the Williamsburg Garden Club and Bruton Parish Church.
She died in 1968.