We provide the following:
- A safe and confidential space to connect with peers - Often students feel very nervous about talking with others about experiences that include violation, betrayal, and/or harm. Sometimes talking with another student can help ease anxiety, but there is no expectation that you share your personal story when visiting The Haven. Sharing your story is your choice. The Haven Confidential Advocates are well-trained, ready to listen, and here to help you understand your options and resources, regardless of what you disclose. If you need to talk, understand your options, or just sit in a quiet space, please visit The Haven during our open hours.
- Trauma-informed support and crisis response - If you have had a recent experience of sexual harassment, sexual violence, relationship abuse, or stalking, The Haven can assist you in getting time-sensitive health and safety resources and other academic or campus modifications. The Haven is confidential and will provide you with a variety of options so that you can choose your next steps.
- Resources and connection to multiple services and options on and off campus - The Haven collaborates with multiple offices across campus and in the community. Confidential Advocates can explain the role of multiple on-campus offices and community-based resources in order to assist you with a variety of options for support.
- Information on Title IX and sexual misconduct policy/procedures and reporting options - The Haven works closely with the Compliance and Equity Office (Title IX Coordinator) who is responsible for investigating sexual misconduct at William & Mary. Confidential Advocates can explain the role of the Compliance and Equity Office, sexual misconduct policies and procedures, and the investigation process. Visiting The Haven will not trigger an investigation.
- Information on criminal and civil legal options - If you would like to learn more about criminal or civil legal options, like understanding a civil Protective Order, The Haven can assist you.
- Modifications related to class work, absences, exams, schedules, housing and campus living, and no-contact orders - Most modifications are available to students regardless of whether a report is made or an investigation is conducted. The Haven Director can assist you with changing your class schedule or residence hall and provide some flexibility regarding class absences or class work.
- Opportunities for healing and connection with other survivors