Faculty and staff traveling abroad on work-related business are able to purchase additional international health and evacuation insurance through the Reves Center. The health care insurance you currently have may cover basic issues while abroad such as routine doctor’s visits for minor ailments and injuries. However, your home insurance typically does NOT include extensive emergency evacuation and other benefits as listed below.
We strongly recommend that you purchase additional insurance for your time abroad. As outlined in the W&M International Travel Policy, faculty and staff traveling internationally to High-Risk destinations for any university-related purpose are required to purchase a comprehensive international insurance plan provided by the university’s authorized vendor.
W&M makes available additional insurance through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for your time abroad. CISI offers insurance that is specially designed for the needs of travelers abroad. It includes basic health insurance, coverage for emergency medical or security evacuation, repatriation, and emergency medical family reunion. It also includes 24/7 telephone assistance, medical referral, medical monitoring and prescription drug replacement/shipment. The Coverage Plan with CISI is administered through William & Mary and has a special range of coverage, tailored for William & Mary travelers. While you are abroad CISI will become your primary insurer. Please note that this insurance will NOT cover accidents involving extreme sports such as bungee jumping, helicopter skiing, rock climbing, shark diving, etc. Before undertaking such activities, take out additional insurance to be sure you are covered.
Coverage can be purchased through W&M at $50.48 a month for your travels. Payment can be made:
- Providing a departmental index/account which can charged; or
- Submitting cash or check payment to the Cashier's office using this form. You will receive a receipt. Please take a picture/scan of the receipt because you will need to upload this in the application.
Once you have arranged for payment, please complete and submit the online application. Please submit applications at least one full week prior to travel.
If you have any questions, please contact Nick Vasquez per email or at 1-1146.
When and how do I use CISI insurance?
The policy’s benefits plan and claim form can be found here. If you are covered by CISI, be sure to give a copy of this plan and/or website link to appropriate emergency contacts in case there is an emergency while abroad. Upon enrollment, you will receive an email from CISI with quick reference information that you should carry with you at all times during your period of coverage.
Things to keep in mind:
- How you use this insurance varies from country to country depending on their health care system.
- Team Assist (TAP), an auxiliary service of CISI insurance, provides 24-hour telephone assistance. They can help find English speaking doctors and refer you to the best medial facility for your injury or illness.
- The CISI coverage through W&M carries a zero deductible.
- Be prepared to pay for medical bills “out of pocket” while abroad. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you keep receipts for all medical expenses in order to file a claim for reimbursement (form found at end of policy description). It is also important that you have access to money (cash or ATM) to cover these “out of pocket” expenses, if needed.
- If you need long term medical care or incur significant medical expenses, you should contact TAP immediately to open a case file. Make sure that your in-country health provider understands the importance of their communicating with Team Assist to facilitate payment.
- If you have questions about the CISI insurance coverage while abroad contact them directly at +1-203-399-5130 firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, you can contact Nick Vasquez (Reves Center) per email or at +1-757-221-1146. If you have an emergency after normal working hours, please contact W&M Campus Police at +1-757-221-4596.