Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

Frequently Asked Questions

Are Care Support Services meetings confidential?

The information shared with the Care Support Services office does not fall under the same confidentiality levels of a healthcare provider or psychotherapist/counselor. Every effort is made to protect your privacy and the information discussed will only be shared in the context of assisting the student. The Care Support Services office will share information on a need-to-know basis. In order to coordinate services, written releases of information may be requested.

Please Note: Liz Cascone, Director of The Haven, serves as a confidential resource for students impacted by sexual violence and harassment, relationship abuse and intimate-partner violence, stalking, and other gender-based discrimination.

How are Care Support Services accessed?

Currently enrolled students can be referred to Care Support Services by filing a care concern using the Report Concerns or Violations site or scheduling an appointment by calling (757) 221-2511 or e-mailing [[care]].

What are some signs that may warrant a referral to Care Support Services?

Academic concerns: marked decline in academic performance, inability to cope with academic pressures, communication that is concerning, missing classes/assignments, continual seeking of special provisions, disorganized or erratic performance.

Behavioral concerns: disruptive behavior, disturbing conduct, verbal or physical harassment, shift in mood that is sudden or significant, concerning use of alcohol and/or other drugs, self-harming behavior, risk-taking behaviors, thoughts or threats of harming others, disorganized speech/nonsensical conversation, emotional/physical outbursts, changes in personal hygiene/sleep/eating

Social/Emotional concerns: relationship issues, loss of family member or friend, verbal/physical/sexual abuse, depression that seems more than just the blues, thoughts or threats of suicide.

What happens when I submit a care concern?

When a concern is submitted it is:

  1. Routed in real time to the Student Success team
  2. Reviewed during normal business hours to identify the specific concerns reported
  3. Assigned for follow-up

Frequently, the staff member will consult with the reporting person for additional information. A representative from the Student Success team meets with the student to assess receptivity to assistance and make referrals as appropriate. It is important to remember that in many situations we will not be able to provide detailed follow-up information to the reporting person. We will share this on a need-to-know basis.

What should I expect if I submit Care Concern for a student?

We will reach out to the student to determine what type of follow-up is needed. In most cases, we will offer support services to the student which may range from connecting a student to on-campus and/or community resources to providing on-going support services to the student. 

What should I include in my Care Concern?

In order to protect the safety of all parties involved, concerns cannot be made anonymously. A reporter should include their first and last name, telephone number, and email address. They should also provide a detailed description of the involved student’s situation.

Where is the Care Support Services office located?

Care Support Services is located in Suite 161 on the first floor of Sadler Center. To schedule an appointment, please call (757) 221-2511 or e-mail [[care]].

Who is eligible for Care Support Services?

All William & Mary students, both undergraduate and graduate, are eligible for services. When a student is referred, the Care Support Services office will arrange a meeting with the student to assess their needs and to determine the type of and frequency of services needed.