Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

International Students

مرحبا. 欢迎. Bienvenu. Willkomm. Benvenuto.
ようこそ. добро пожаловать! Bienvenido.


William & Mary welcomes applications from students with an international background. We feel that each international student adds a unique background and experience to our already diverse and eclectic student body.

For transfer purposes, our definition of an undergraduate "international transfer student" is anyone who:

  • Is not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States; and
  • Has attended another college or university after graduating from high school

If you've already earned a bachelor's degree (or equivalent degree), you cannot earn a second undergraduate degree from W&M.


International transfer students who attend colleges or universities inside the United States may apply for fall or spring admission. International students attending schools outside of the United States, and who need an F-1 visa, are accepted only for the fall semester. Like other transfer students, international transfer students will apply using the Common App.

English Proficiency.

If English is not your native language, and if your schooling during the past five years or more has been in a language other than English, you should take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Test.

Transfer Credits

To be eligible for possible transfer credit, you will submit translated syllabi for each university-level course with your application for admission. You may be required to send your academic credentials to an international evaluation service for preliminary determination of transferable credit. The Office of the Registrar coordinates this and has details.

Once You are Admitted
Expenses and Financial Aid

Generally speaking, William & Mary does not have scholarship or loan funds available to aid undergraduate students who are citizens of other countries. If you need an F-1 or J-1 visa to study in the U.S., you will receive an email from our online system iStart after you have been admitted to W&M and paid your deposit. You will use iStart to provide financial certification to study for the upcoming year. The Reves Center coordinates visa applications for foreign students.


Academics at W&M are the same for international transfer students as they are for any other transfer student. You will have to satisfy W&M's general education requirements. You may have transfer credit that can be used to satisfy some of these requirements.

Need help? Contact us.

Questions regarding Undergraduate Admission 
Office of Undergraduate Admission
Phone: 1-757-221-4223
Email: [[admission, Office of Undergraduate Admission]]