So you want to share a PDF or other document with the world? Follow these steps...
(If you've uploaded a document and need to update it, replace the existing version instead.)
- Remove any spaces or upper case letters in your file name – this will become the system File Name and URL for the uploaded file (ex. basket-weaving-form.pdf).
- Navigate to and select the documents folder. If you don't have a storage folder, create one.
- From the top toolbar, choose Add Content >> File.
- Enter a Display Name and Title (these should match).
- Click "Drop a file here or choose one from your computer" to find the file on your computer and then Open.
- Choose "Save & Preview" – then Submit >> Check Content & Submit
Remember that you've just uploaded this document into the Cascade Server database. It is not available on the World Wide Web until you publish it. And it is not easily found by visitors until you link to it on a page.
*Note that the document size limit is about 9.7 MB. If you have documents that exceed this limit review the Storage Options and contact [[creative]]. For PDFs that exceed the file size limit, you can first try the online tool SmallPDF to compress your PDF (using this site you can also merge and split PDFs and convert PPT, JPG, Excel or Word documents to PDF).
Bulk File Upload
To upload more than one file:
- Remove any spaces or upper case letters in your file name. When uploading multiple files, the file names will be used by default and may be updated by the system if they do not meet the naming standards.
- Navigate to and select the documents folder.
- From the top menu, select Add Content >> File.
- Select the “Choose” link or drag and drop files from your computer into the drop zone.
- Once you have uploaded your files, you will need to edit each of them to provide the required Display Name.
Uploading a Zip Archive
Here are the steps for importing a zip file of documents directly into Cascade. This method is useful if you have multiple folders worth of files you’d like to upload and want to maintain the folder structure, as it will be recreated within your site when the zip archive is unpacked.
- Zip up the set of documents.
- Select the Cascade folder where the documents will be uploaded. If you don't have a storage folder create one.
- Click Add Content >> File from the top navigation menu in Cascade.
- Scroll down and drag-and-drop or choose a zip file from your computer.
- Select 'Yes' to extract and save all of the contents into the current folder
- Click 'Unpack' and you will land on a Zip Archive Report that displays the items unpacked successfully or with errors.
- Close. Then refresh your view of the folder to see the files listed.
A document is considered accessible if it meets certain technical criteria and can be used by people with disabilities. It’s important to make sure your documents are accessible before uploading them into Cascade.