Thank you for your interest in partnering with William & Mary to create positive community-driven social change.
Working with William & Mary Students
While our students are often committed, hard-working volunteers, they have different needs and schedules than other volunteers may.
- Please keep in mind our academic calendar as you request volunteers. Relatively few students attend summer classes. Talk to your student volunteers about their academic schedule to design a schedule that will be effective for both sides.
- Many of our students do not have cars on campus so transportation may be an issue. Consider public transportation options when listing opportunities or connect them with other W&M volunteers who may have cars. Students may request a special volunteer parking permit if they serve more than ten hours each week.
Recruiting General Volunteers
- Requirements and responsibilities of the volunteer
- Dates, times, and location
- Point of contact and their email address
While we will publicize your need for up to three weeks, we cannot guarantee volunteers. Encourage students to volunteer with you by providing meaningful, challenging projects, and submitting the request several weeks in advance.
Community Partner Listerv and Events
To receive information about upcoming events and W&M resources to support your work, please subscribe to our community partner listserv. These messages include event registration dates, details about funding opportunities, and campus updates.
- Community and Volunteer Fair (Fall)
- Community Breakfast (Fall)
- Group Service Days (Three per semester)
- Community Partner Workshop (Spring)
OCE is piloting a community fellow position for the 2019-2020 academic year. The fellow will serve approximately 20 hours and receive a $500 honorarium for their work increasing community voice on campus, consulting with faculty/staff on community engagement opportunities, and sharing W&M resources with the wider community. Please review the full position description and application details (pdf).
Funded Local Internships
OCE offers a small number of funded local internships each year. Community partners apply for a student intern whose work will increase the organization's capacity. OCE will recruit student applicants for the selected internships and guarantee funding for the position. Internships generally range from 80-400 hours during the summer and the academic semesters. Details about each round of funding and community partner applications are distributed on our community partner listserv.
For information about the requirements of organizations which host an intern, review the Funded Internship Community Partner Expectations guide.
If you are interested in creating other internship opportunities for students, please refer to the Career Center website regarding how to post internships. For more information, contact [[career, the Career Center]]. You may also post internships to our volunteer listserv.
For tutoring needs, the School of Education at William & Mary posts requests for paid tutors on a regular listserv message. To submit a request, please email Dorothy Osborne with a description of your need, the compensation offered, and contact details.
Here are a few more W&M resources which may be of interest.
- W&M Libraries which provides borrowing privileges to all WRL patrons
- W&M Entrepreneurship Center
- W&M Career Center which hosts the non-profit case competition and internship postings
- W&M Events which can be search-limited to public events only
- Conference Services which can help host events on-campus and support events in community