Thank you for your interest in partnering with William & Mary to create positive community-driven social change.
Working with William & Mary Students
While our students are often committed, hard-working volunteers, they have different needs and schedules than other volunteers may.
- Please keep in mind our academic calendar as you request volunteers and talk to student volunteers about their schedules.
- Many of our students do not have cars on campus, so consider public transportation options or connecting them with other W&M volunteers who have cars.
Recruiting and Managing Volunteers with W&M GivePulse
GivePulse is William & Mary’s centralized campus platform for community engagement. GivePulse allows university and community partners to share opportunities with everyone at William & Mary. Community partners can submit projects to our GivePulse page and create their own free GivePulse accounts to recruit and manage volunteers at W&M and beyond.
View our W&M GivePulse resource page for guides and training videos on how to submit events, manage registrants, and more.
Events shared on W&M GivePulse will automatically be added to our weekly volunteer listserv. If your opportunity is not able to be shared via GivePulse, email Elizabeth Miller with a three to four sentence description, including point of contact. We will publicize your opportunity in the listserv for up to three weeks, but we cannot guarantee volunteers.
Community Partner Listerv and Events
To receive information about upcoming events and W&M resources to support your work, please subscribe to our community partner listserv. These messages include event registration dates, details about funding opportunities, and campus updates.
- Community and Volunteer Fair (Fall)
- Community Breakfast (Fall)
- Group Service Days (Three per semester)
- Community Partner Workshop (Spring)
Funded Local Internships
OCE offers a small number of funded local internships each year. Community partners apply for a student intern whose work will increase the organization's capacity. OCE will recruit student applicants for the selected internships and guarantee funding for the position. Internships generally range from 80-400 hours during the summer and the academic semesters. Details about each round of funding and community partner applications are distributed on our community partner listserv.
For information about the requirements of organizations which host an intern, review the Funded Internship Community Partner Expectations guide.
If you are interested in creating other internship opportunities for students, please refer to the Career Center website regarding how to post internships. For more information, contact [[career, the Career Center]]. You may also post internships to our volunteer listserv.
For tutoring needs, the School of Education at William & Mary posts requests for paid tutors on a regular listserv message. To submit a request, please email Dorothy Osborne with a description of your need, the compensation offered, and contact details.
Here are a few more W&M resources which may be of interest.
- W&M Libraries which provides borrowing privileges to all WRL patrons
- W&M Entrepreneurship Center
- W&M Career Center which hosts the non-profit case competition and internship postings
- W&M Events which can be search-limited to public events only
- Conference Services which can help host events on-campus and support events in community