Become A Tutor
We are currently accepting TutorZone applications for the Fall 2023 semester. We have begun our first round of interviews for our hiring process. If you applied after April 20th, please be patient and we will contact you soon.
When applications are reviewed, selected applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview. If the TutorZone is not currently in need of tutors in a particular area, applications that meet our qualifications are kept on file and may be referred to in the event that a position becomes available.
- Minimum overall William & Mary GPA of 3.0 (3.5 or higher strongly preferred)
- Courses to tutor must have been taken at William & Mary
- Courses to tutor must have a grade of A- or higher (grade of A preferred)
- Excellent communication skills
- A personal and professional commitment to academic integrity
- Previous tutoring experience appreciated but not required
Preference is given to applicants with a larger number and variety of courses to tutor.
- So as not to impact their own academic performance, tutors have control over their tutoring availability and the number of hours they tutor. However, tutors are expected to maintain a reasonable number of available hours through the exam periods, and notify TutorZone staff of any major changes to regularly scheduled availability.
- Tutors attend scheduled tutor training sessions and meetings.
- Tutors learn and utilize the 4-Step Tutoring Approach employed by the TutorZone.
- Tutors maintain a friendly demeanor and positive attitude while tutoring.
- Tutors adhere to the William & Mary Honor Code and sign and adhere to a confidentiality agreement.
- Tutors respect and care for the space and materials of the TutorZone.
- Tutors reply promptly to staff communications and keep accurate payroll records.
Starting pay for tutoring is $13 per hour. Federal Work-Study students are encouraged to apply.
- Submit the Tutor Application form below.
- The application will request an email for a professor that the student would like to recommend them for the position. Please follow application instructions clearly.
- For the required professor recommendation, please put the professor's email in the recommendation section of the application. Then, the professor will automatically get an email when you submit your application.
The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or age in the administration of educational policies, programs or activities, admission policies and procedures, scholarship and loan programs, employment, recreational, athletic, or other university-administered programs.
Please direct all questions to [[tutorzone]]