The environmental analysis subcommittees have recommended the articles below to the W&M community, so that all who wish to may engage these trends.
Teaching & Learning
- “For the Edtech Innovation Today’s Learners Need, Look Not to Companies, But to Campuses” EdSurge News, by C. Morrison, Oct 2019.
- “Study Abroad Matters: Linking Higher Education to the Contemporary Workplace Through International Education” Institute of International Education, by E. Loveland & C. Morris, 2018.
- “Developing a Whole-of-University Approach to Educating for Sustainability: Linking Curriculum, Research and Sustainable Campus Operations” Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, by J. McMillin & R. Dyball, Jul 2009.
- “Does Higher Education Still Prepare People for Jobs?” Harvard Business Review, by T. Chamorro-Premuzic, Oct 2019.
- “The World’s Top Economists Just Made the Case for Why We Still Need English Majors” Washington Post, by H. Long, Oct 2019.
- “Want to Fix Big Tech? Change What Classes Are Required For a Computer Science Degree” Fast Company, by K. Pham, May 2019
- “Should Computer Science Be Required? (Opinion)” Inside Higher Ed, by R. Sedgewick, Oct 2019.
- “One of America’s Most Vital Exports, Education, Never Goes Abroad, but It Still Faces Threats” New York Times Magazine, by B. Larmer, Jan 2019.
- “Why We Need Inclusive Teaching in Every Classroom” Forbes, by M. Klawe, Apr 2019.
- “The Case for Inclusive Teaching” Chronicle of Higher Education, by K. Gannon, Feb 2018.
Research & Innovation
- “Four Ways Universities are Driving Innovation” World Economic Forum, by F. Jahanian, Jan 2019.
- “The Rise of the Chief Innovation Officer in Higher Education” Entangled Solutions, by J.J. Selingo, Jan 2018.
- “Why I’m Leaving a Research 1 University for a Liberal Arts College” American Mathematical Society, by E. Goins, Sep 2017.
- “Bringing the Liberal Arts to Engineering Education” Chronicle of Higher Education, by L. Bordoloi, & J. Winebrake, Apr 2015.
- “The Campus Innovation Myth” Chronicle of Higher Education, by M. Wisnioski, and L. Vinsel, Jun 2019.
- “Originality Transforms: Supporting Innovation” Colorado College, 2017.
Flourishing & Engagement
- “The Public's Support for (and Doubts About) Higher Ed” Inside Higher Ed, by D. Lederman, Jun 2019.
- “Employee Rewards: What do Employees Value Most” 2019 Deloitte Global Human Capital Trends, by E. Volini, J. Schwartz, I. Roy, M. Hauptmann, Y. Van Durme, B. Denny & J. Berin, Apr 2019.
- “Students' Mental Health Shouldn't Be the Responsibility of Campus Counseling Centers Alone (Opinion)” Inside Higher Ed, by T. Mitchell & S. Ortega, Oct 2019.
- “Survey: Employers Want 'Soft Skills' From Graduates” Inside Higher Ed, by J. Bauer-Wolf, Jan 2019.
- “Designing for Motivation, Engagement and Wellbeing in Digital Experience” Frontiers in Psychology, by D. Peters, R.A. Calvo & R.M. Ryan, May 2018.
- “Higher Education’s Key Role in Sustainable Development” University World News, by P. Blessinger, E. Sengupta & M. Makhanya, Sep 2018.
- “Why We Need a ‘Scholarship of Belonging’” Chronicle of Higher Education, by J. Frenk, May 2016.
- “2019 Horizon Report” EDUCAUSE, B. Alexander, K. Ashford-Rowe, N. Barajas-Murphy, G. Dobbin, J. Knott, M. McCormack, J. Pomerantz, R. Seilhamer & N. Weber, Apr 2019.
- “A New College Program Inspired by Coding Bootcamps, Informed by Liberal Arts” EdSurge News, J.R. Young, Oct 2019.
- “Are Liberal Arts Colleges Doomed? The Cautionary Tale of Hampshire College and the Broken Business Model of American Higher Education” Washington Post Magazine, by E. Gray, Oct 2019.
- “The Business Case for More Diversity” Wall Street Journal, by D. Holger, Oct. 2019.
- “The Changing Landscape of Higher Education” ECUCAUSE Review, by D. Staley & D. Trinkle, Feb 2019.
- “Creativity Innovation Entrepreneurship Findings and Recommendations” University of Richmond, by A. Russell, B. Crawford, J. Drummond, H. Harwell, R. Raggio, A. Schoeneman & R. Skalbeck, 2018.
- “Dan Cristol has an audacious goal for undergraduate research at W&M” W&M News, by J. McClain, Sep 2018.
- “Designing for ‘Employee Experience’ will increase Engagement and Business Impact of IT Projects” Gartner, Oct 2018.
- “Digital Engagement Update: Checking in on social media” Inside Higher Ed, E. Stoller, Jul 2019.
- “Diversity Within Unity: Essential Principles for Teaching and Learning in a Multicultural Society” Phi Delta Kappan, by J.A. Banks, P. Cookson, G. Gay, W.D. Hawley, J.J. Irvine, S. Nieto, J.W. Schofield & W.G. Stephan, Nov 2001.
- “The Enrollment Crash Goes Deeper than Demographics” Chronicle of Higher Education, by N.D. Graw, Nov 2019.
- “Forget Tanning Beds. College Students Today Want Uber Parking.” New York Times, by L. Prevost, Jun 2019.
- “The Future of Sustainability in Higher Education” The Journal of Sustainability Education, by N. Hensley, Mar 2017.
- “How to Give Your Students Better Feedback With Technology” Chronicle of Higher Education, by H. Fiock & H. Garcia, Nov 2019.
- “How to Keep Your College Financially Healthy Today: Success vs. Failure” Forbes, by L. Lapovsky, Jul 2017.
- “In the Salary Race, Engineers Sprint but English Majors Endure” New York Times, by D. Deming, Sep 2019.
- “The Lure of the Lazy River” Chronicle of Higher Education, by J. Stripling, Oct 2017.
- “More Colleges use Chatbots to Communicate Online” Voice of America, by P. Musto, Oct 2019.
- “The New ‘In Loco Parentis’” Chronicle of Higher Education, by V. Patel, Feb 2019.
- “Overburdened Mental-Health Counselors Look After Students. But Who Looks After the Counselors?” Chronicle of Higher Education, by A.C. Kafka, Sep 2019.
- “Summer in the Sandbox” MIT News, by M. Murphy, Aug 2016.
- University research proposal writing support websites: University of Colorado & Princeton, Nov 2019.
- “Who Are the Successful Innovators in Higher Education” - Simon Associates, Apr 2019.
- “Women of Color: Invisible, Excluded and Constantly ‘On Guard’” Wall Street Journal, by A. Burton, Oct 2019.