William and Mary

F-2 and J-2 Dependent Visas

The spouses and unmarried children (under age 21) of an F-1 or J-1 visa holder are eligible for F-2/J-1 visa. For the F-2/J-2 visa, they will need the following documents:

  • an I-20 issued for a F-2 dependent or a DS-2019 issued for a J-2 dependent (if you are a current student or scholar, you will need to submit an I-20/DS-2019 Request Form to our office for the dependent I-20/DS-2019)
  • a valid passport
  • evidence of financial support for you and your dependents (Certification of Financial Support, bank statement, assistantship or scholarship letter). You may use the same documentation as the F-1/J-1.
  • visa application form DS-160
Additional Documents

Dependents of continuing students or scholars will also need:

  • a valid travel signature on the dependent I-20/DS-2019 (signatures are valid for 1 year from date of signing)
  • a W&M transcript (recommended for F-2)
  • offer/employment letter from W&M or VIMS (recommended for J-2)
  • a visa support letter (optional)

Check with your U.S. Consulate to see if they require any additional documents.

International Spouse Network

The International Spouse Network (ISN) is a group of spouses and significant others who have accompanied their partners to Williamsburg and William & Mary. Coming from all over the globe, members share activities that promote friendship and understanding, including English conversation classes, excursions, and special events.

Childcare and School Registration

Please refer to the International Spouse Handbook for information about pre-schools and childcare and registering your child for school.