*This link is for faculty, staff, and affiliates. Students should use the link provided by the appropriate office of admissions.
Step 1: Get your Banner ID Number
A Banner ID number is a nine digit number beginning with 93... (ex. 930123456). You will be notified of your Banner ID number via the email address used in your application for employment (faculty/staff) or letter of acceptance (students). The message will come from the following departments, depending on your association to the College:
- Staff - Human Resources
- Faculty - Administrator from your school/department/program
- Affiliates - Information Technology
- Undergraduates - Office of Undergraduate Admission
- Graduate Students - The appropriate office of graduate admission
- Unclassified Students (Undergraduate and Graduate) - Registrar
Step 2: Get your WMuserid
Once you have your Banner ID number, you can get your WMuserid. It is usually - but not always - the first initial of your first name, first initial of your middle name (if you have one), and then your last name. (Example: tjefferson)
- Go to the activation page for Fac/Staff/Affiliates. Students should refer to the link in their letter of acceptance.
- Read and accept the terms in the Acceptable Use Policy for Faculty/Staff or for Students.
- Enter your Banner ID Number sent by the department listed above (starts with a 93...) and the email address you used during the application process. (Affiliates - this is the email address your sponsor provided us for you.)
- If this information matches, you will be issued a WMuserid (shown on the next screen). The WMuserid issued to you cannot be changed. Also, an email (aka - a "token") will be automatically sent to the email address you provided in your application.
Step 3: Get your Password
You are close to completing the activation process. Now you just need to set up your password.
- Open your email used in the application process.
- Find the token that was sent to you.*
- Open the token and click on the link.
- Enter the WMuserid provided by the previous activation process (Steps 1-4 above). You will now be able to create your WMuserid password.
- Go through all 3 steps and then click the Change Password Now button in Step 3. Your password is not established UNTIL you click this button.
*You will only have 24 hours to use the token. If necessary, you may request another token be sent to you by going through this process again.
Step 4: Set-up a Password Recovery Email Address (Optional)
A recovery email address allows you to reset your password on your own - just in case! Follow these steps to set it up:
- Select Self-Service Password Recovery
- Follow the prompts to provide a recovery email address
- Confirm the email address (Use the link in the activation email sent to the recovery email address you selected)
I've got my Banner ID Number, WMuserid, and Password
Congratulations! You are finished.
Now you can check-out things like your W&M email account (Faculty/Staff, Students), Blackboard, or use Banner Self-Service (via myWM). If you happen to be on campus, you can go ahead and connect to the network.
Questions? Contact the Technology Support Center (TSC)
757-221-4357 (HELP) | [[support]] | Jones 208, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm