Campus Tour of Woody Species

Map of plant tour Sunken Garden James Blair Hall Crim Dell Wildflower Refuge Millington Hall Millington Greenhouse Millington Hall South Phillips Garden Integrated Science Center Landrum Hall McGlothlin-Street Hall Thomas Jefferson Statue Washington Hall Ewell Hall Adams Garden Among the scenic locations on campus can be found more than 300 species and varieties of woody plants, a living archive that also supports research by faculty and students at the College. By vote of the Board of Visitors, this collection is known as "The Baldwin Memorial Collection of Woody Species" after John T. (J.T.) Baldwin, Jr., professor of biology from 1946 to 1974.

The campus tour of woody species is self-guided and follows in the footsteps of the walking tour given for many years by Professor Baldwin. It begins and ends near the Wren Building on the Old Campus, following a loop that includes the 15 locations noted on the map and keyed to the left navigation menu.

Jane HenleyProfessor MathesThe collection as it stands today is the result of dedicated contributions involving many people. Retired Biology Professor Martin Mathes continues to lead the walking tours originated by his former colleague, Professor Baldwin. Jane Henley has been a leading advocate and private funder helping to maintain and extend the collection. The College's Gardens and Grounds division of Facilities Management cares for specimens in the collection and for the campus landscape as a whole.

Professor BaldwinOrigins of the Collection

John T. Baldwin, Jr. majored in biology at William & Mary and completed his Ph.D. at the University of Virginia in 1937. He taught botany at the College from 1937 to 1939, returning as a full-time faculty member in 1947. In his research he specialized in cytogenetics (the study of plant chromosomes) and published widely throughout his career. He was instrumental in discovering natural sources of cortisone, in the plant Strophantus sarmentosus, and was considered a national authority on Boxwood.

In his travels and studies Professor Baldwin visited four continents, often sending back to the College or returning with unusual seeds and plantings. Over several decades, with the assistance of his colleague Professor Bernice Speese, he gradually turned the campus into a natural laboratory dotted with dozens of exotic species.

Documentation

Before his death in 1974, Professor Baldwin charged his colleagues with responsibility for the collection. With much of the original documentation no longer available, Biology Professor Mathes launched in the late 1970s a project to identify, inventory and map the various species represented. He was assisted by senior student Louise Mozingo and a number of colleagues and funders, and the effort resulted in production of a bound catalog listing approximately 325 species and varieties of woody plants. Two publications available in Swem Library are recommended:

  • Martin C. Mathes, The Planting of a Campus Tradition, 1987
  • Martin C. Mathes, Collection of Woody Species, 1992