Reporting a fire:
1) Yell, FIRE – FIRE – FIRE while going to and activating a nearby fire alarm pull station.
2) Evacuate the building immediately closing doors and windows and performing laboratory emergency shut-down procedures (only if procedures can be safely completed).
3) When you are safe, call 911 and report the exact location(s) of the fire to the operator.
4) Go to your designated assembly area or gathering point.
5) Do not reenter the building until fire and college officials indicate it is safe.
Fire Safety Rules:
Plan fire escape routes
- Know where all exits are located in the building and plan two escape routes
- Practice your escape plan
Do not use the elevators
Feel the door handle
- If the door handle is hot, don’t open it - Go to a window and call for help
- If the handle is not hot, open cautiously checking for smoke or fire before going out
Don’t look for other people or gather up your things
- Beat on doors and yell “FIRE” as you leave
- Don’t hesitate or stray from your path as you leave
Crawl low to the floor
- Thick smoke can make it impossible to see – Breathe through your nose or through a shirt
- Do not breathe the smoke - Toxic chemicals from smoke can be deadly in minutes
Close the door behind you
- You may help keep the fire from spreading
- You may protect your possessions from fire and smoke damage
If you can’t get out, get someone’s attention
- Yell and scream
- Hang a sheet out of the window and then close the window tightly to hold it in place
- Stay low, there is less smoke and poisonous gasses close to the floor. Use wet towels to block smoke from entering the room
Using a Fire Extinguisher:
- Only use a fire extinguisher if you are comfortable with your ability to effectively fight the fire.
- If you decide to use the fire extinguisher remember to position yourself between the fire and the exit.
Pull the pin – Aim for the base of the fire – Squeeze the handle – Sweep from side to side