Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
W&M menu close William & Mary

VI. Auto Accidents

Procedures for reporting accidents are set forth below.  Insurance coverage and liability are discussed in section VIII.

A.  Contact the State Police if off campus (253-4923 locally or 804-424-6820), or W&M Police if on campus.  If traveling out of state, call 911 or the State Police in the area.

B.  Employees must contact their supervisor.  Students must contact the university official who authorized the trip. Within 24 hours of the accident, the supervisor or official must contact the university's Risk Manager (221-2742) and complete or cause to be completed the Auto Accident Report Form located in the glove compartment (in university vehicles) or online.

C.  Contact your personal insurance company, even if the accident involved a university or rental vehicle.  Many policies require that they be notified regardless of which policy covers the incident.