At the Writing Resources Center, we help you strengthen your writing and communication skills by providing resources, workshops, and individual support for all kinds of assignments and projects that require writing: academic essays, presentations, storyboards, posters, personal statements, creative writing, applications, and more.
The heart of the WRC is the one-on-one consultation. Writers from all disciplines and levels are welcome to make an appointment with one of our trained peer consultants who can help at any stage of the process--from idea, to draft, to revision. You'll begin your free 50-minute consultation by identifying goals for the session.You may want to focus on:
- Developing a thesis
- Clarifying ideas
- Structuring an argument
- Strengthening specific paragraphs or sentences
- Designing and delivering a presentation
Once your goals are clear, you and the consultant will work together to explore possibilities. Although collaborative, at no time does the consultant take over authorship of your work. Many writers come in just to explore their ideas with an attentive, sympathetic audience.
In addition to consultations, we also offer:
- Reference Materials: The WRC keeps a variety of handbooks about academic writing, documentation manuals, and handouts.
- Class Visits and Tours: Faculty may request that consultants visit classes to explain the WRC services, or they may bring in smaller classes to the WRC for an introductory tour.
- Faculty Services: We are available to assist faculty with integrating writing into courses across disciplines, to support special writing projects, and to accept individual student referrals.
- Skype Consultations: For students who are studying abroad or are otherwise unable to visit us in Swem Library, we offer Skype consultations during our regular hours.
- Workshops and Presentations: We offer workshops and presentations to faculty and student groups and are available to collaborate on topics of interest.