The Williamsburg Trolley and Bus Lines provide a low-cost or free (with a W&M ID) method of local transportation.
For the most up to date information on trolley and bus routes and schedules, visit Williamsburg Area Transport or get transit directions using google maps (click on the “Public Transit” icon). You can also use WATA BusTime for updated arrival information for selected bus routes.
How to Use the Bus Schedule: Familiarize yourself with the maps for each line and find the route nearest you. Check the timetables for the route that you want. The timetables provide estimated arrival times at several key points. In order to determine the time at which the bus will be at your designated bus stop, you must estimate the time based on the distance of your stop from the nearest key point. If you have questions about which route you should use or at what time you can catch the bus, please call (757) 220-5493.
- Zipcars are cars that you can rent for a short period of time (a couple of hours to a day).
- These cars are parked on-campus and are good for local trips, such as to the grocery store, SSN office, or to the mall.
- To rent a Zipcar, you must have had your driver’s license for at least one year.
- You can rent with a foreign license, but if you do so, you may need to provide a translated driving record from your home country. See Zipcar for details.
- For more information, including how to enroll and current rates, visit WM Zipcar.
Car Rental Agency
- You can rent a car with a foreign license (they will want to see your passport and W&M ID).
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- If you are under 25 years old there will be an additional underage surcharge per day.
- You are strongly advised to purchase the insurance (about $30/day), as even minor accidents or scrapes can be very expensive without insurance.
- A SSN is not required to rent a car.
- You can generally get a cheaper rate with an online reservation: Enterprise-Rent-A-Car or Hertz Car Rental.
Resources for Transportation Options
- Transportation to Wiliamsburg: Resources about transportation to Williamsburg including information about airports, shuttles, bus, and trains.
- W&M Parking and Transportation: Provides information about public transportation, Zipcars, and out of town travel.
- Oleta Coach Lines: Offers William & Mary students and faculty an easy and inexpensive way of getting to/from Northern Virginia for the scheduled breaks.
- Student Carpool Facebook Group. A facebook group managed by W&M students. Requires a W&M email to join the group. Some students use this to seek rides or advertise rides. (Note: This group is not affiliated with W&M and is provided for information purposes only. The Reves Center does not endorse nor confirm the accuracy of its content).