Opening an Account
To open a bank account, you will need to apply in person at a local bank and bring with you the following items:
- Passport, I-20 or DS-2019 (for F-1 and J-1 students and scholars), and I-94 card
- W&M ID card
- Evidence of your local address (e.g. apartment lease, housing contract, etc.)
- If you live on campus, submit an Enrollment Verification Request to get a letter with your address. Under Additional Information in Section C of the form, write that you would like your current physical address to be included.
- Some banks require a Social Security Number (SSN) to open a bank account.
- This is a bank policy and not a federal regulation. Federal regulations allow one to open a bank account without a SSN provided that the customer completes a form W-8BEN. This form is available at the bank.
Most international students and scholars bank at the following banks:
Bank of America
1310 Jamestown Rd (757-258-1700); 3.2km from W&M
4620 Monticello Ave (757-220-3250); 5 km from W&M
Wells Fargo Bank (1-800-869-3557)
1006 Richmond Rd (757-220-6200); 1500m from W&M
455 Merrimac Trail (757-220-6210); 3km from W&M
202 North Henry St (757-564-1040); 150m from W&M
1186 Jamestown Rd (757-253-9135); 3km from W&M
Other banks in the area may allow you to open an account with the Form W-8BEN—just ask at the bank's customer service desk. Most banks are open Monday through Friday, 9:00am—5:00pm, and some banks are open Saturdays from 9:00am—12:00 noon.