Duplex printing is available on the first floor Swem Library Information Commons.
To print on both sides of paper:
Go to Devices and Printers on the right side of the Start Menu:
Right-click on the printer you want to set. Choose Printing Preferences from the pop-up menu. On the Finishing tab, click the Print on both sides checkbox:
You will now be able to print on both sides of the paper.
A note about Duplex Printing:
While we do offer duplex printing on the first floor of Swem, we haven't installed duplex printers campus wide for the following reasons:
- Printers with the duplex option have more problems with paper jams and the resulting repairs cause more downtime, more support, more service calls and higher repair costs.
- Duplex printers are more expensive - the initial cost is about $300 to $350 higher.
- Duplex printing is much slower and delays other print jobs in the queue. This is inconvenient and frustrating for others who are waiting to print.
- Switching between duplex and standard print options can be confusing to some; although those who want to use duplex are much better at making the switch.
- Duplex printing is not less expensive - the current charge of seven cents per page applies to each side of the page. (Unfortunately, the print tracking software doesn't distinguish between standard and duplex print jobs.)