Each year, William & Mary students volunteer for more than 245,000 hours of service. Calculated at minimum wage, that adds up to about $1.8 million. But the real value of their work is immeasurable, both for the communities they serve and the students themselves. In community engagement at W&M, students and community partners develop mutually-beneficial, community-driven projects. Whether they are one-time events or regular partnerships, students learn about the social issue they address in service so they have a background of understanding before beginning to serve.
The Office of Community Engagement connects W&M and the community to support students’ development as active and educated citizens and to promote positive, community-driven social change. The office’s vision is that students will prioritize working within and understanding community in a lifelong pursuit of social justice.
They have active partnerships with over 90 local non-profit agencies and schools, and more than a dozen community organizations across the country and around the world. Here are just some examples of what our students are involved in:
- 350 W&M students partner with 15 schools and neighborhoods to serve as tutors and mentors
- $40,000 in grant funding is provided to students participating in funded local internships and completing community engagement projects during breaks and throughout the year
- 17 groups of about 12 students each participate in alternative breaks around the world through Branch Out alternative breaks
- more than 550 students participate in large scale service days, partnering with local community groups like Avalon and the Habitat ReStore
- The Campus Kitchen at W&M cooks and delivers nutritious meals to 100 local residents in our public housing communities every week for a total of 10,000 meals per year, along with leading a weekly education and recreation program for children
- Through Aim 4, a program for first year, sophomore, and senior students incorporating both work in and out of the classroom, students gain a deeper understanding of their communities and work together to make a positive impact as active citizens of William & Mary and the world at large.
Find out how you can get involved at the Office of Community Engagement.