Per U.S. immigration law, a scholar in J-1 status may request an extension of his/her DS-2019 (and period of authorized stay) provided that all the following conditions apply:
- s/he will not exceed the time limits for his/her category
- the academic host/department agrees to the extension
- s/he has not been recommended for or granted a waiver of the Two year Home Residency Requirement for this J-1 program
- s/he has not violated the terms of his/her J-1 status
Documents Required for a J-1 Scholar DS-2019 Extension
- Information about the extension from the hosting department, through the Scholar Extension Form (pdf)
- updated financial documentation (e.g., bank statement) if not covered in the above letter.
- Funding: $1700 per month for J-1 scholar; $450 per month per J-2 dependent
- proof of health insurance for J-1 and any J-2s
The DS-2019s of any J-2s will be automatically extended with the extension of the J-1.