It all started in my parents' basement with dBaseIII. While maintaining my dad's client database and fulfilling his bulk mailing jobs, I decided to hire friends and build a team of workers. I was 10. He'd say I'm a born manager... I'd say, I just like getting the job done.
I first came to Williamsburg to attend William & Mary in 1993. After graduating in '97, I married fellow alum, Mark Windley '92. By the time we were married, we had already worked multiple jobs together, so it was no surprise that we found ourselves back together at our Alma Mater, working first together on the IT Web Team and now in University Web & Design.
After graduating from William & Mary in '97, my years of service oriented work led me to service management at Williamsburg's Yukon Steak Co. There I coordinated a staff of 25, developing a new service training program. Later I became involved with the concept and development of a new restaurant venture - Dakota Bay Grille. I provided services ranging from menu design and development, to local ad and table tent design.
As our boys were entering preschool, I committed my talents to volunteer work. As a member of the Board of the Williamsburg Parent Cooperative Preschool, I organized committees and school wide fund-raising ventures. Returning to the work force, I joined La Tienda, a local web-based Spanish food retail company. There I managed marketing calendars, conducted project work with their team of technical consultants, and managed special projects. Ask me some time about our Giant Paella and Sangria Fest!
In December of 2008, I joined Information Technology's Web Team as myWM Manager and Web Consultant. With Mark having joined the team a few years earlier, I really felt at home. In 2010, with William & Mary's newly framed strategic initiatives, and the university's need for a collaborative communications unit, we eagerly launched into our next chapter as Creative Services (now University Web & Design).
Responsibilities & Projects
- oversee content creation and management of W&M's public facing website
- provide editorial control and guidance for sites maintained by campus units – focus on visual presentation and intuitive content structure
- train department web editors to maintain their site structure and content
- maintain on-line documentation including the Writing & Style Guide for our community of Cascade users
- provide consultations on the use of internal communication tools, Cascade CMS, social media platforms and other web-based tools
- manage visual content and features on myWM
- represent the university on social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter
- moderate W&M Blogs for consistency with central themes and messages; monitor comments
- collaborate with team members on a variety of web and multimedia projects
Mark and I keep busy with our boys—Thomas, Austin and Harley the dog—and house projects. On any given day you may find us working in the yard, driving to guitar lessons, tearing up some floors, painting some cabinets or wrestling the kids off of video games and into family game night.