The nomination process for the 2018 William & Mary Leadership Award will open in the spring. Thank you to all participating schools for nominating such wonderfully talented students. Please contact [[drburkett,Assistant Dean Dominic Burkett]] if you have any questions or concerns about the Leadership Award program. Go Tribe!
The William & Mary Leadership Award is presented to one outstanding current junior (Class of 2019) from each high school in Virginia and select high schools across the United States. The junior you nominate should be a visible and dynamic leader within your school community.
Students considered for this award should demonstrate leadership in and outside the classroom. Past award recipients have been described as risk-takers, decision-makers, opinion leaders, go-getters, bridge-builders and catalysts for change. Some personal attributes to consider include:
Leadership in the school
- School spirit
- Active in athletics, clubs or other extracurricular activities
- Loyalty to school
- Able to work within and across any student constituency
- Promotes appreciation for multiculturalism
Leadership in the classroom
- Strong academic program (enrolled in AP/IB courses)
- Distinguished record of achievement (generally ranked in the top 15% of the class)
- Discussion leader
- Innovative thinker
- Earns the respect of teachers
- Values diverse perspectives
- Thinks creatively
Please note in your selection process:
- Interest in attending the College of William & Mary should not be considered.
- Receiving the award will not affect the admission process.
- The award is intended to honor the student's achievements, regardless of his or her college selection.
We hope that the William & Mary Leadership Award program provides you with an opportunity to recognize a deserving young leader in your school.
Please contact [[drburkett,Assistant Dean Dominic Burkett]] with any questions or concerns (if you prefer to contact him by phone, call 757-221-3983).