Todd A. Stottlemyer, Rector
Robert E. Scott, Vice Rector
Thomas R. Frantz, Secretary
Kendrick F. Ashton, Jr.
Ann Green Baise
Sue H. Gerdelman
H. Thomas Watkins III
Michael J. Fox, Secretary to the Board
The Executive Committee shall consist of the Rector, who shall serve as Chairperson, the Vice Rector, the Secretary of the Board, the Chairperson of the Committee on Financial Affairs, and three members of the Board at large to be appointed by the Rector for two-year terms. The Executive Committee shall exercise the powers and transact the business of the Board of Visitors between meetings of the full Board as needed. All members of the Board shall be informed promptly of any action taken.
The Executive Committee shall organize the working processes of the Board, and recommend best practices for Board governance. In addition, the Executive Committee is authorized and required to:
- Develop and recommend to the Board a statement of governance setting out the Board’s role;
- Periodically review the Board’s Bylaws and recommend amendments;
- Provide advice to the Board on committee structure, appointments and meetings;
- Develop an orientation and continuing education process for visitors that includes training on the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (§ 2.2-3700 et seq.);
- Monitor, oversee and review compliance by members of the Board with William & Mary’s Code of Ethics; and
- Develop a set of qualifications and competencies for membership on the Board for approval by the Board and recommendation to the Governor.
The Executive Committee shall also recommend candidates for honorary degrees for selection by the Board of Visitors. All names submitted by the President of William & Mary, by the President of Richard Bland College, by any member of the Board or by other individuals as candidates for honorary degrees shall be referred to the Executive Committee. It may also review and make recommendations on criteria and standards for the awarding of honorary degrees.
A simple majority of the members shall constitute a quorum.
In the event that a quorum is not present at a meeting of the Executive Committee, the Chairperson may appoint other Board members to the Executive Committee on an ad hoc basis to create a quorum for that meeting.