In July 2008, the College of William & Mary launched a new website that represented the completion of re.web - a comprehensive project to redesign the College's web presence. In March 2012, a refreshed homepage was introduced using modern design, more contrast, responsive design technology, added content and new features. In July 2013, the entire W&M website was made responsive, making it more accessible on any device.
The features of the website
- W&M Websites A - Z and our gateway pages customized for current students, faculty and staff, friends and neighbors, parents and families and alumni are key navigational elements.
- Features and photography are showcased in W&M Impact, W&M Inquiry, W&M Style, Ideation and Liberal Arts @ Work.
- The W&M Blogs offer the opportunity to hear the voices of our dynamic community of students, alumni, faculty, staff and administrators.
- W&M Galleries include glimpses of the beauty and activity of the William & Mary campus.
- Hear the thunder of our social media chorus on Social Stream.
- The William & Mary mobile site is available at m.wm.edu.
- Complementary sites for William & Mary graduate and professional schools complete an integrated web presence:Law School, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, School of Business, School of Education
- The W&M website is published using Cascade Server, a Hannon Hill web content management system.
The people behind the technology
William & Mary Creative Services
W&M Creative Services manages this site which continues to evolve and improve, changing on a daily basis, as we focus on interesting, informative and engaging content for all visitors.
View a complete list of the people who contributed their wonderful photography to the W&M website.
We were fortunate to work with mStoner. Through a successful, mostly professional, and always fun partnership with Patrick DiMichele, Mark Sheehy, Dave Roos and Voltaire Santos Miran, an exceptional web presence for W&M became a reality.
A few featured awards
- eduStyle - Noteworthy Site (September 2008)
- CASE III - Special Award of Merit for Home Page Design (February 2009)
- Featured in The eduStyle Guide to Usable Higher-Ed Home Page Design (March 2009)
- Received two national, higher-ed, web awards from eduStyle (July 2009)
Best Redesign (Judged Award and People's Choice)
Best Use of Photography (People's Choice)
- Recognized with a Silver Award in the 2009 Design Competition of the University & College Designers Association (August 2009)
- Received a 2009 WebAward for Outstanding Achievement in Web Development (September 2009)
- CASE III - Special Award of Merit for W&M Blogs (February 2010)
- CASE Circle of Excellence Gold Award for W&M Blogs (May 2011)
- Received a Design Excellence Award in the 2011 Design Competition of the University and College Design Association (UCDA) for Social Stream in the “Social networking site” category (August 2011)
- Comment from a W&M alum: "The new web site is easy to use. It is dynamic, interesting. I love all the changing pictures of the college, the student blogs. It truly is one of the best college web sites I have seen (and I've looked at quite a few, since we're now in the midst of a college search for our son)."