Phase III Data Recovery at Site 44JC643
Associated with the Proposed VNG Mechanicsville to Kingsmill Lateral Pipeline, James City County, Virginia
1993 viii + 78 pp. 43 figs., 3 tables, 2 appdx.
A complex of features, including the remains of post buildings, root cellars, fences, and a ditch, makes up components of an 18th- and early 19th- century slave quarter. The initial occupation began during the first quarter of the eighteenth century and continued until around 1730/1740. During this period, a sizable dwelling, fences, and possible storage buildings were constructed. The site was reoccupied during the fourth quarter of the 18th century. This occupation, characterized by a cluster of small huts, lasted until the end of the first quarter of the 19th century.
Order form (pdf)