Carla has worked at William & Mary since 1999. She joined the Office of Compliance & Equity as an Investigator in June, 2015. Prior to joining the Compliance & Equity team, she worked in the President’s Office where she handled a variety of sensitive constituent issues. Carla also served as a member of the President’s Task Force on Preventing Sexual Assault and Harassment.
As an investigator, Carla conducts prompt, fair and impartial investigations relating to sexual violence and sex-based discrimination. Carla is part of the Title IX team that works to prevent and respond to sexual violence. She also investigates other forms of harassment and discrimination.
Carla earned a Doctor of Education in Educational Policy Planning and Leadership (Higher Education Administration emphasis) from William & Mary, a M.S. in Education from Radford University, and a B.S. in Psychology from Virginia Tech.
Carla is a Certified Civil Rights Investigator and participates in continuing education and training programs conducted by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) and the Association of Title IX Administrators (ATIXA). Carla also has expertise in disability rights and ADA/Rehabilitation Act compliance and received her ADA Coordinator Certification in 2017 from the University of Missouri. Examples of training courses completed include:
- ATIXA Civil Rights Investigator Level IV Training & Certification- August 1-2, 2018
- DCJS Trauma Informed Sexual Assault Investigations and Adjudication Training- October 23-25, 2017
- ADA Coordinator Certification University Of Missouri- April 2017
- ATIXA Civil Rights Investigator Level III Training and Certification Course - September 27-28, 2016
- DCJS Investigation of Sex Crimes Training for Campus Police and Public Safety Agencies - August 17-19, 2015
- DCJS Investigation of Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, and Stalking for Campus Policy, Public Safety and Civil Rights (Conduct/Title IX) Investigators - July 20-22, 2015
- ATIXA Civil Rights Investigator Training & Certification Course - July 8-9, 2015
- DCJS Campus Safety and Violence Prevention Forum- March 2018, March 2016, March 2015