Kiersten has been William & Mary's Title IX Coordinator since 2011. She is also the university's first Chief Compliance Officer, leading the Office of Compliance & Equity.
As Title IX Coordinator, Kiersten is responsible for overseeing the university's work to prevent and respond to sexual violence and sex-based discrimination. She helps ensure coordination among key university offices, particularly the Dean of Students and William & Mary Police. She has similar responsibilities for other forms of harassment and discrimination.
Kiersten got her J.D. from the Georgetown University Law Center in 1997 and her B.A. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1994. She is a member of the state bars of Virginia, Washington D.C. (inactive) and New York. She is a Certified Compliance & Ethics Professional (CCEP) and a Certified Title IX Investigator and Title IX Coordinator (ATIXA).
Kiersten and the other professional staff members of the Office of Compliance & Equity have received extensive training in Title IX matters and internal investigations including continuing education and training programs conducted by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS), the National Association of College and University Attorneys, the Society for Corporate Compliance & Ethics, the Office of Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Education, the Office of the Attorney General of Virginia, and the Association of Title IX Administrators (ATIXA). Examples of specific training courses completed include:
- ATIXA Civil Rights Investigator Level III Training and Certification Course - September 27-28, 2016
- Mid-Atlantic ADA Center, ADA In Focus Virginia, May 10, 2016
- DCJS Campus Safety and Violence Prevention Forum, March 8-9, 2016
- DCJS Investigation of Sex Crimes Training for Campus Police and Public Safety Agencies, August 17-19, 2015
- DCJS Investigation of Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, and Stalking for Campus Policy, Public Safety and Civil Rights (Conduct/Title IX) Investigators - July 20-22, 2015.
She also provides training and educational programming to students, faculty, and staff.