Thanks to the generosity of alumnus Richard Kraemer '65, each summer Kraemer Scholarships fund one or more students who have a special interest in studying or conducting research in the British Isles. The award to the student is $2,500 for a minimum of five full-time weeks of study or research. In recent years, Kraemer Scholars have studied at the London School of Economics and Political Science and the University of Cambridge, have conducted work at the Achill Archaeological Field School, and done research on the dissemination of fashion in England through fashion dolls.
Click on the links for more information.
- All parts of this application are due by noon on Wednesday, February 28, 2018.
How to Apply
- Discuss your project proposal idea with a faculty member who will write your recommendation letter. Make sure they know the letter is due by noon on February 28, the application deadline.
- Access the online application by clicking this link
- Create an account using your email.wm.edu address
- Select Charles Center Summer Research Scholarship as the program for which you are applying; on the second page of the application, check the Kraemer Scholarship box
- Fill out the application form and upload the required documents (essay, transcript)
- Register your recommended. Your recommended will submit your letter through the online system. Once you have registered your recommended, s/he will receive an email with instructions on how to submit the letter. Please alert your recommended to look for this email (it may go to a spam folder). You may log into the system to see if the letter has been submitted. You may submit your application before your letter has been uploaded. Visit the FAQs page for more information on recommendation letters.
- Submit your application
Be sure to read the FAQs page for all Charles Center Summer Scholarship applications.
International Travel Insurance
Recipients of the Kraemer Scholarship are required to purchase international travel insurance for their time abroad. The Global Education Office at the Reves Center strongly recommends that students purchase Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) insurance. Read more about CISI and how to purchase it.
Upload an unofficial, W&M Banner transcript, including the current semester course registration. If you studied abroad or completed other off-campus academic work, be sure to upload those transcripts, too.
Statement of Purpose
The statement of purpose can be uploaded (as a Word document or PDF) or typed directly into the online application. This statement should describe the study abroad program or research project you plan to undertake in the British Isles. For those applying to participate in a study abroad program, please be sure your statement answers the following questions:
- What is the name of your study abroad program?
- Describe the study abroad program courses and explain your interest in them.
- What are you goals in undertaking this specific course of study? How will this coursework further your own academic/intellectual development?
- Why are you interested in studying the British Isles?
For those planning to conduct a research project in the British Isles, please be sure your statement answers the following questions:
- What is the title of your research project?
- Describe your project and your reasons for wishing to conduct it?
- What are your goals in undertaking this specific research? How will doing so further your own academic/intellectual development?
- Why are you interested in studying in the British Isles?
The recommendation letter must be from a W&M faculty member who is best able to attest to your suitability to undertake your proposed project or program. This would be someone who knows you and your work well. You should discuss your proposal with the faculty member before applying.