The WMCI serves as an on-campus and community liaison for administering Confucius Institute scholarship sponsored by Hanban to those interested in studying in China.
To know about the scholarship, please read Recruitment Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship (.pdf). A list of host institutes for Confucius Institute Scholarship (.pdf) is also available.
Confucius Institute 2018 Scholarship Application
- Not hold Chinese citizenship
- Between the ages of 16 and 35 on September 1st, 2018.
Types of Scholarships
- Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students: beginning in September 2018 and sponsored for two years. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required. Applicant must have at least a score of 210 on HSK Level 5 and a score of 60 on the HSKK Intermediate Level. Application deadline to turn documents into WMCI is April 1st, 2018
- One Academic Year Scholarship: beginning in September 2018 and sponsored for 11 months. Application deadline is April 1st, 2018.
- Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages: a score of at least 270 on HSK Level 3 and have a HSKK score (no minimum specified).
- Chinese Language and Literature, History, and Philosophy: a score of at least 180 on HSK Level Four and a score of 60 on the HSKK Intermediate Level.
- Chinese Language Study: a score of at least 180 on the HSK Level Three. No HSKK score is needed.
- One Academic Semester Scholarship: beginning in September 2018 (application due April 1st, 2018) or March 2019 (application due November 1st, 2018) and sponsored for 5 months. May not have ever had a X1 or X2 visa (these are student visas).
- Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy: a score of at least 210 on HSK Level Three and have taken the HSKK (no minimum score specified)
- Chinese Medicine, Tai Chi: have taken the HSK, no minimum score specified
Confucius Institute Scholarship Details
Scholarship winners are exempt from registration fees, tuition, fees for basic learning materials, accommodation fees on campus, and are provided with a one-time resettlement subsidy (RMB1000-1500), monthly allowance (RMB1400), outpatient medical service and comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in China. Airfare is not covered. The one-off resettlement subsidy will not be provided to those who have studied in China for more than half a year before being enrolled.
Students must enroll on time. If you enroll before the 15th of the month, you will receive the entire month’s living allowance. If you enroll after the 15th, you will receive half of the month’s living allowance. If you are outside of China for more than 15 days, you will not receive the living allowance for that time. If you leave the program, you will lose your scholarship.
- Check the website http://cis.chinese.cn/account/login for application documents and more information.
- Print out the Application Form and submit it to William & Mary Confucius Institute along with other application materials by the application deadline above. William & Mary Confucius Institute will send the application materials to China.
- Host institutes will submit the proposed enrollment name list of qualified candidates to Hanban. Hanban will publish the list of accepted applicants. “Admission Notice” will be sent to the accepted applicants.
All applicants must have:
- A photocopy of their passport.
- A photocopy of their HSK and HSKK scores
- A letter of recommendation from WMCI
- Academic documents: the highest degree you have received or will receive and your transcript
Applicants for Masters of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages must have two letters of recommendation from relevant professors.
HSK Test Dates
Please refer to www.chinesetest.cn
Guanxin Shi Ph.D. A/Prof.
Visitting Prof., Confucius Institute,College of William and Mary
314 Jamestown Road, Rowe House ,Williamsburg, VA, 23187, USA