The mission of Shanti Garudasana ("Peaceful Eagle" in Sanskrit) is to provide a vibrant and substantive yoga training experience for a selective group of W&M students, faculty and staff. Graduates from our program will have developed the skills and confidence to provide intelligently sequenced, safe and well-rounded classes. They will be able to effectively integrate principles of pedagogy, communication and cultural sensitivity in a manner that honors both the rich traditions and modern science of yoga philosophy/practice, mindfulness and flourishing. While one of the goals of Shanti Garudasana is to develop mature and talented yoga teachers to then serve the W&M community at the new Integrative Wellness Center and Campus Recreation, it is the intention of the school to create lifelong role models and ambassadors for optimal yoga education and practice.
The training will be lead by the following faculty:
- Cindy Crace, Yoga School Director, E-RYT 500, CYT
- Jenny Ruehrmund, 200 RYT, Lead Trainer
- Patti DeBlass, 200 RYT, Lead Trainer
All training weekends include Friday 4-10pm, Saturday 10am-10pm, and Sunday 10am-4pm.
- August 26-27
- Sept. 29-30
- Oct. 27-29
- Nov. 10-12
- Jan. 19-21
- Feb. 16-18
- March 23-25
- Applicants should be 18 years of age or full-time W&M students.
- Applicants should have a regular yoga practice.
- Applicants should submit a completed application and deposit (if not a W&M student). W&M students who are not offered a full-scholarship after being interviewed will be offered the $1,500 rate for training.
- All applicants will be required to complete an admissions interview (interviews will be held in April- dates TBA). Official entrance into the program will be at the discretion of Shanti Garudasana faculty.
- If any part of the training is missed, the only way to make it up will be by attending the same weekend the following year.
- If more than one weekend is missed, participants must re-enroll in the following year's training and re-take all weekends. If W&M students on a full-scholarship miss two weekends and have to re-enroll the following year, they will have to pay the W&M student rate of $1,500 the second time through.
- Completion of all of the training sessions and practical teaching hours (totaling 200 hours).
- Completion of asana cards for all asanas learned in the training, and revisions made as needed (this assignment will be explained in depth during the first training weekend).
- A passing score on the in-house final assessment.
- Maintenance of a personal yoga and meditation practice.
- W&M Students: A full-scholarship will be awarded to 15 full-time students (If a student applies but is not awarded a scholarship, the W&M student rate is $1,500).
- W&M Faculty/Staff: $2,000
- Non W&M affiliates: $3,000
*Non-W&M full-time college students are eligible for a rate of $2,000. A limited number of these spots will be given and reference letters from the students' Campus Recreation or Recreational Sports departments will be required.
Need to do a payment plan? We'll work with you. Just contact Jenny or Cindy (contact info at the bottom of the page).
W&M Students: 2018-2019 applications have not yet opened, deadlines are TBD
Non- W&M Students: 2018-2019 applications have not yet opened, deadlines are TBD
Full payment required upon registration unless using the pay by month option. Participants who pay in full will receive 10% off the total cost of training.
A non-refundable $250 deposit is required to reserve your spot in the course.
- History of Yoga
- Yoga Ethics
- Anatomy and Standing Asanas
- Subtle Energy and Philosophy
- Planning a Class and Back Bends
- Pranayama and Meditation
- Student Check-In Teaching Tools
- Forward Bends and Hip-Openers
- Specialized Teaching
- Yoga Business
The Shanti Garudasana Yoga school follows the Yoga Alliance 200-hour standards for teachers training.
- Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques, by Mark Stephens
- Light on Yoga: B.K.S. Iyengar
This program has limited space. *Priority will go to William & Mary students, who will be interviewed after submitting an application. Please allow 3-5 business days for a response.