William & Mary Campus Recreation conducts Group Fitness Instructor Hiring every fall and spring. Individuals do not have to have a national fitness certification in order to be hired as Group Fitness Instructors at the Student Recreation Center. However, once hired, Instructors must obtain a national Group Fitness Instructor Certification within 6 months of the date they start work with Campus Rec. The Campus Rec in-house Group Fitness Instructor Training Course prepares students to take the American Council on Exercise Group Fitness Instructor Exam to become nationally certified Group Fitness Instructors. Students that have not taken the Group Fitness Instructor Training Course when they are hired will be required to take it while on staff.
Once hired, Instructors will be considered "Fitness Instructors-In-Training" and will team-teach classes with returning Instructors until they are ready to teach classes on their own.
Fall 2018 Interview/Audition Process
Those who submit an application will be contacted by our Group Fitness Supervisor with an audition time. Applicants have the option to audition in the following formats: Cycling, Barre/Pilates, Yoga (must already have a 200RYT or be enrolled in Shanti Garudasana's 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training Program), OR 32-count (for classes like BodyPump(TM), Cardio Dance, etc.). Applicants may audition for more than one type of class. After auditions, we will have call-back interviews.
Fall 2018 Group Fitness Hiring Dates:
- Group Fitness Instructor Interest Meeting: Tuesday, Oct. 9th at 6:00 PM in the Student Recreation Center Conference Room.
- Practice Sessions for applicants will be held on the following days and times in the downstairs Multi-Purpose Studio.
- Wed 11/7- practice session 1: 8-9PM
- Thursday- 11/8 practice session 2: 7-8PM
- Sunday- 11/11 practice session 3: 3:30-5PM
- Application Due: Saturday Nov. 6th at 11:59 PM. Click here to fill out an application.
- Auditions: Tuesday, Nov. 13th- 6:45-9 PM, Group Fitness Studio
- Interviews: Fri, Nov. 16th (only for those called back from auditions)
Please contact Liza Moore, Group Fitness Supervisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Group Fitness Instructor Job Description
Fitness Instructors are responsible for leading safe and effective fitness classes for the Campus Recreation Department. They are to design enjoyable classes that encourage participation and educate patrons on the benefits of exercise and healthy lifestyles. Fitness Instructors must demonstrate a positive commitment to the mission and goals of the Campus Recreation Fitness Program. Instructors are required to work with the Fitness Instructors-in-Training, and are encouraged to be involved with Instructor Training Sessions.
Expectations & Responsibilities
- Become nationally certified within 6 months of being on the Campus Recreation Staff
- Complete the Group Fitness Instructor Training Course in the fall
- Attend weekly Group Fitness Instructor meetings-Tuesdays @ 8:00pm
- Attend the Campus Rec Staff Training once/semester the day before school starts
- Attend all workshops and special events that are designated as mandatory by the Assistant Director for Fitness & Wellness.
- Arrive ON TIME to all meetings, workshops, training sessions and special events
- Maintain current CPR, First Aid, AED and national group fitness instructor certifications.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest health and fitness trends. Continue your knowledge and education by attending workshops, presentations, expos, conferences, etc. to earn continuing education credits.
- Maintain open and frequent communication with the Assistant Director for Fitness & Wellness, the Graduate Assistant and your co-workers and return all emails and calls in a timely manner.
- Follow Campus Recreation rules and guidelines including equipment use and dress code.
- Abide by the honor code.
- Design and lead safe and effective group fitness classes.
- Report to work at least 10 minutes prior to class. Have a class format prepared, bring music if needed, water, and other items you may need during class.
- Keep a staff contact/phone list and know how to get in touch with all of the Fitness Instructors.
- Stay up-to-date with all staff special events and programs so that you can describe them to participants.