Video Storage and Hosting
YouTube is the recommended storage and hosting solution for video. However, before you upload a video to YouTube, we recommend you contact your Cascade manager to inquire about any existing YouTube accounts or preferred practices for your department, area or school. If your manager recommends you create a new account, follow our recommended guidelines on creating a new social media account at W&M.
Once your video is uploaded to YouTube, Cascade offers multiple solutions for incorporating it within your site—embedding a YouTube video within the content area at various sizes, or creating a YouTube Widget for use in the right-hand column.
Other Large File Storage
Other media files (and significantly large files of any type) should also not be uploaded directly into Cascade. We have created a virtual host called media.wm.edu that all Cascade users may use for large file or media storage. For PDFs that exceed the file size limit you can first try the online tool SmallPDF to compress your PDF (using this site you can also merge and split PDFs and convert PPT, JPG, Excel or Word documents to PDF).
Here's the process to access media.wm.edu:
- Send a message to [[creative]] requesting access to media.wm.edu. Include your WMuserid.
- When you get the response from the University Web & Design team that your WMuserid has been granted access, map a network drive to \\jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu\virtualhosts\media.wm.edu\path-to-your-storage-folder (the full path will be given to you in the response.) Refer to "Mapping a Network Drive to Your Storage Folder" below for more specific instructions.
- Open your mapped drive and drag-and-drop in your media files (files names should be all lower case, no spaces).
- Once stored, your media will be publicly-accessible via the web address http://media.wm.edu/path-to-your-storage-folder/your-media-filename
Mapping a Network Drive to Your Storage Folder
Specific instructions to follow after you are given access to a storage folder. This is for on-campus computers only.
- Right-click on the My Computer icon on the desktop or right-click "Computer" in the Start Menu.
- Click on "Map Network Drive."
- Select any available letter to use as the drive letter.
- In the popup box type \\jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu\virtualhosts\media.wm.edu\path-to-your-storage-folder
Using OS X:
- In the Finder, select "Connect To Server..." from the "Go" menu.
- In the Server Address field, enter smb://jonesfiles.campus.wm.edu/virtualhosts/media.wm.edu/path-to-your-storage-folder
- Click connect.
- When prompted, enter your WMuserid and your password.