New to YouTube? Learn about getting started with video storage.
Need to place an existing widget on your page? Skip to Step 3.
Step 1: Find the YouTube Video ID
- Find the video in YouTube.
- Click on "share."
- The Video ID is the string that follows "v=" or "http://youtu.be/" from the share URL (it'll look something like: 9uDDxliL2w8).
Step 2: Build a YouTube Widget
- Navigate to your widget storage folder. Don't have one yet? Build one now.
- Select Add Content >> Right Column Items >> YouTube Widget Folder (if you don't have this asset, contact your Cascade Web Manager).
- Enter Folder Name (lowercase, no spaces) and Display Name then Submit.
- Edit the Widget file.
- Enter your Custom Header Text, YouTube Video ID and Teaser Text.
- Choose an Internal URL or enter an External URL for a "More..." link.
- Use + to enter additional YouTube videos, up to a maximum of 5, if applicable (this enables the rotating video widget/teasers).
- Save & Preview >> Submit >> Check Content & Submit then Publish the widget folder.
- Edit the page where you want to place the widget.
- Check the box to "Show Right Column?"
- In the Widgets section, click "Choose Page" to browse to the Widget file and select it then click Choose.
- Save & Preview >> Submit >> Check Content & Submit then Publish the index page.
What if my YouTube Widget does not show up on a published page?
Widgets need to be published separate from the page(s) that contain them. Make sure that your YouTube Widget folder is published.
What should I do if I added the widget to a page, but I don't see it in the preview?
In addition to adding the widget to your page, you must check the box next to 'Show right column?' in order to enable ANY features in the third column.
Can I put widgets on my page from other sites?
Sure! When you browse to select a Widget file, you can select one located anywhere in the folder navigation tree. (Note that you cannot borrow widgets from other schools ... for example www.wm.edu sites cannot borrow law.wm.edu widgets.)