The W&M Digest provides an avenue of official communications for W&M faculty and staff. The digest email is distributed Monday - Friday, between 8:30 and 9:00 AM as a moderated and digested list. This means all announcements are approved by a moderator and combined into one email message that is sent out daily.
To ensure an announcement will appear in the W&M Digest on a specific day, it should be posted no later than 8:30 AM of the desired day.
Posting of announcements to the W&M Digest is limited to William & Mary faculty and staff. Posts must be on behalf of a department, office, program, or university-recognized group or organization and be university-related.
Announcements that do not follow the guidelines will not appear in the W&M Digest.
- Use concise language in the Subject field but be descriptive.
- Keep messages as short as possible. Detailed information related to an announcement should be posted on a webpage and the related URL for more information included in the digest announcement.
- Topics in the digest generally include:
- announcements from IT, HR, Parking and other university offices
- meeting notes and agendas
- promotion of university events on behalf of a department, office, program, or university-recognized group or organization; we recommend you include a link to the event details in W&M Events
- new instructional resources
- general campus service announcements (parking, construction and utilities)
- Topics such as the following are not acceptable for the digest:
- announcements that are not university-related and on behalf of a department, office, program, or university-recognized group or organization
- confidential information (e.g., Social Security Numbers)
- advertising items for sale or rent (I'm selling . . .)
- inquiries about items for sale or places for rent (I'm looking for . . .)
- other similar "classified ad"-type postings
- offers to transfer state assets from one department to another without the permission of Financial Reporting
- position openings listed on jobs.wm.edu
- announcements concerning personal advocacy
- announcements of a personal nature
Announcements related to parking notifications, system alerts, university policies and procedures, benefit management, and public safety and security will be highlighted as primary announcements.
These guidelines are subject to change.