EcoReps is a group of knowledgeable student volunteers who act as sustainability representatives at William & Mary. It is a pilot program that was recently launched by the Office of Sustainability in August 2018. EcoReps are leaders from diverse majors and backgrounds, serving as peer mentors to foster a welcoming environment and empower others to take sustainable actions on campus through a wide variety of initiatives and events.
The program aims to close the gap between the social, environmental, well-being and economic elements of William & Mary campus and community.
DO ECOREPS DO?
- Attend sustainability
trainingsto obtain knowledge in order to promote the integration of sustainable initiatives on campus
- Lead Move-In Day efforts to reduce waste and increase awareness of first-year students in sustainable living and initiatives
- Partner with W&M Dining in sustainability initiatives such as composting and hydroponics
- Support and implement recycling efforts on campus
- Lead EcoChallenge in October during Campus Sustainability Month
- Assist in the organization of Earth Week and Earth Day Festival
- Collaborate with Residence Life in the promotion of living sustainably to students through presentations
TRAININGS (Updated every year)
Fall 2018 Training Dates
|August 28||Move-In Day Training|
|September 28||Food waste/Composting Training|
|October 28||Mindfulness & Holidays|
|November 28||Campus Living Training Pilot|
Spring 2019 Training Dates
|January 28||Energy Training|
|February 28||Wellness or Diversity|
|March 28||Green Careers Info Session|
|April 28||Campus Living Training|
Meet biweekly. Alternate training and leadership development progress report
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You don’t have to know it all to be an EcoRep. We are looking for students who are enthusiastic about learning and promoting sustainability in broad terms. Students of all majors are welcomed! Applicants with previous experience in mentoring, sustainability-related projects or efforts and have a desire to foster a welcoming and encouraging environment to promote sustainability would make strong candidates.
We look for students with the following (but not limited to) criteria:
- Enthusiastic and creative individuals who are passionate about the connections between environmental, social, and economic ideas.
- Have the interest to learn information about sustainability topics and relate that information to your peers through a variety of platforms
- Have the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Have effective communication skills
- William & Mary students (undergraduate, graduate, international students are all welcomed!)
WHAT DO YOU GAIN?
By the end of the program, you will:
- Gain leadership experience
- Become a knowledgeable representative regarding sustainability
- Strengthen your resume
- Improve your communication skills
- Improve your team collaboration and independent work
- Be a valuable resource for new students
- Collaborate with other passionate students and campus organizations in sustainability efforts