To raise student body awareness of sustainability and foster a welcoming environment for anyone to see the potential of a sustainable future. The experiences and knowledge students gain at W&M will influence the future actions of each graduating class, this is where our greatest impact will be found.
HOW DO I BECOME AN ECOREP?
- Fill out an application. Any and all are welcome! Enrollment closes once trainings begin.
- Attend at least 1 training a semester (each semester has a topic)
- Help craft the outreach and share what has been learned
- Be willing to volunteer when you can on other sustainability events. That's it!
- Lead and organize the EcoReps under the guidance of the Sustainability Graduate Assistant
- Help guide the direction of the group, topics, recruitment and retention
- Set the tone for the group and make decisions
DO ECOREPS DO?
- Lead Move-In Day efforts to reduce waste and increase awareness of first-year students in sustainable living and initiatives
- Partner with campus departments and offices to help share their sustainability progress and options with the student body
- Present to student organization
- Create and manage fieldtrips, tours and other activities for the student body to attend
- Table on the Terrace
- Act as boots-on-the-ground volunteers for other W&M Sustainability initiatives when possible
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You don’t have to know it all to be an EcoRep. We are looking for students who are enthusiastic about learning and promoting sustainability in broad terms. Students of all majors are welcomed! Applicants with a desire to foster a welcoming environment to promote sustainability are encouraged to join.
We look for students with the following (but not limited to) criteria:
- Enthusiastic and creative individuals who are passionate about the connections between environmental, social, and economic ideas.
- Have the interest to learn information about sustainability topics and relate that information to your peers through a variety of platforms
- Have the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Have effective communication skills
- William & Mary students (undergraduate, graduate, international students are all welcomed!)
WHAT DO YOU GAIN?
By the end of the program, you will:
- Become a knowledgeable representative regarding sustainability
- Strengthen your resume
- Improve your communication skills
- Improve your team collaboration and independent work
- Be a valuable resource for new students
- Collaborate with other passionate students and campus organizations in sustainability efforts