Sideline Management Assessment Response Techniques (SMART) Workshop
This live event, hands-on, interactive workshop will provide the physician and athletic trainer with the skills to appropriately evaluate and manage injuries on the athletic field sideline. This is a workshop; participants will be expected to participate in functional, physical activities, immobilization, and evaluation techniques.
At the conclusion of the workshop, the participants will be able to:
- Appropriately manage, on the field, an athlete with a suspected acute spine injury. (Synthesis)
- Appropriately manage, on the field, an athlete with a suspected acute fracture and/or dislocation. (Synthesis)
- Appropriately manage, on the field, an athlete with a suspected concussion. (Synthesis)
- Perform a musculoskeletal evaluation of the upper and lower extremities on individuals wearing protective athletic equipment. (Synthesis)
- Appropriate, on the field, airway management of an athlete in distress. (Synthesis)
- Assess an individual's readiness to return to physical activities utilizing a progression of functional activities. (Evaluate)
The workshop will increase the confidence and competence of the physician and athletic trainer who is currently or desiring to provide medical coverage of athletic events.