Once you have decided on a program, go ahead and apply or register to study abroad.
When choosing a W&M program, apply online by the deadline. Be aware that deadlines vary and are program-specific:
- Spring study abroad: Most are October 1 although some are as early as September 4.
- Summer study abroad: February 1
- Fall and Academic Year study abroad: Most are March 15, although some are as early as February 15.
- The Hertford College, University of Oxford program deadline is December 1st the year prior for all options (so, for Academic Year 2020-2021 and Spring 2021, the deadline would be December 2nd, 2019).
- Applications must be complete in order to be considered, so plan ahead and order your official W&M transcript and request recommendations early. This also includes payment of the application fee and submission of all documents, except for course approval forms (which are not due until the end of the semester prior to studying abroad). If applicable, the study abroad and CISI insurance fees will be billed to your student account.
When choosing a non-W&M program, you apply directly to that program by their deadline and register online by the following W&M registration deadlines:
- Summer, Fall, and Academic Year study abroad: April 1
- Spring study abroad: November 4
- Registrations must be complete by the deadlines, including submission of all documents, except for course approval forms (which are not due until the end of the semester prior to studying abroad). The study abroad and CISI insurance fees will be billed to your student account.
If you are applying to a non-W&M program, study abroad providers often require a signed form from a Global Education Advisor approving your participation. Depending on the provider, the form can be electronic or a paper form. Students who need this form signed should complete the Study Abroad Advisor Approval Request Form. Students should allow up to 4 weeks for approval, as the Global Education Office must receive clearance from the Dean of Students Office before approving participation in any study abroad program. It is important you submit the advisor approval request form to the Global Education Office at least 4 weeks BEFORE the provider's deadline so the GEO has time to approve it!
If you want to apply or register after the deadline, you must submit a petition to the Committee on Exceptions at the Global Education Office at the Reves Center. A $100 late fee will apply. Contact the Global Education Office for details.