Once you have decided on a program, go ahead and apply or register to study abroad.
When choosing a W&M program, apply online by the deadline. Be aware; deadlines vary and are program specific.
- Spring study abroad: Most are October 1 although some are as early as September 5
- Summer study abroad: February 1
- Fall and Academic Year study abroad: Most are March 15, although some are as early as February 15
- The Hertford College, University of Oxford program deadline is December 1st the year prior for all options (so, for Spring 2019 and Academic Year 2018-2019, the deadline would be December 1st, 2018.
- Applications must be complete in order to be considered, so plan ahead and order your official W&M transcript and request recommendations early. This also includes payment of application fee and submission of all documents, except for course approval forms which are not due until the end of the semester prior to studying abroad.
When choosing a non W&M program, you apply directly to that program by their deadline and register online by the following W&M registration deadlines:
- Summer, fall and academic year study abroad: April 10
- Spring study abroad: November 4
- Registrations must be complete, including payment of the fee and submission of all documents, except for course approval forms which are not due until the end of the semester prior to studying abroad.
If you are applying to a non W&M program, study abroad providers require a signed form from a Global Education advisor approving the study abroad program. Depending on the provider the form can be electronic or a paper form. Either way, please allow 2 to 3 weeks for approval. The Global Education Office must receive clearance from the Dean of Students Office BEFORE approving participation in any study abroad program. It is important you submit the advisor approval form to the Global Education Office 2-3 weeks BEFORE the providers deadline!
If you want to apply or regsiter after the deadline, you must submit a petition to the Committee on Exceptions to the Global Education Office at the Reves Center. A $100 late fee will apply. Contact the Global Education Office for details.