Required Medical and Evacuation Insurance (CISI)
Every student studying abroad needs to have comprehensive coverage that can be used for medical and security emergencies while in another country. The health care insurance you currently have may cover basic issues while abroad such as routine doctor’s visits for minor ailments and injuries, and visa regulations for some countries require students to purchase special insurance coverage that allows visiting students access to their health care system for routine doctor’s visits. However, your home insurance and the basic coverage required to obtain a visa typically do NOT provide comprehensive care, including evacuations, for emergencies or prolonged treatments.
The Global Education Office at the Reves Center requires that W&M students studying abroad purchase Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) insurance, which will be valid for the duration of their academic program. CISI offers insurance that is specially designed for the needs of students abroad. It includes basic health insurance, coverage for emergency medical or security evacuation, repatriation, and emergency medical family reunion. It also includes 24/7 telephone assistance, medical referral, medical monitoring and prescription drug replacement/shipment . The World Class Coverage Plan with CISI is administered through William & Mary and has a special range of coverage, tailored for William & Mary students. While you are abroad CISI will become your primary insurer.
Coverage for study abroad programs through the Global Education Office is provided at a flat rate of $170 per semester, or $65 for the summer. It will be charged directly to your student account. For W&M semester sponsored and W&M summer programs, the insurance costs are included in the program fee.
If you plan to travel before or after your program's period of study, you can purchase additional coverage for the time of travel directly from CISI at their standard rate, which is somewhat higher than the group rate.
If you are not registered for study abroad through the Global Education Office/Reves Center, please follow the instructions below. For all those registered with the Reves Center, please follow the instructions on your personal application portal. Examples of those who need to apply individually using this form include Charles Center summer international research/internship scholarship recipients.
Instruction for non-study abroad purchase:
- Payment can be made by submitting cash or check payment to the Cashier's office using this form. You will receive a receipt. Please take a picture/scan of the receipt because you will need to upload this in the application.
- Once you have arranged for payment, please complete and submit the online application. Please submit applications at least two full weeks prior to travel.
When and how do I use CISI insurance?
The policy’s benefits plan and claim form can be found here. If you are covered by CISI, be sure to give a copy of this plan and/or website link to your parents or other appropriate contact in case there is an emergency while abroad. Upon enrollment, you will receive an email from CISI with quick reference information that you should carry with you at all times during your period of coverage.
Things to keep in mind:
- How you use this insurance varies from country to country depending on their health care system.
- Team Assist (TAP), an auxiliary service of CISI insurance, provides 24-hour telephone assistance. They can help find English speaking doctors and refer you to the best medial facility for your injury or illness.
- The CISI coverage through W&M carries a zero deductible.
- Be prepared to pay for medical bills “out of pocket” while abroad. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you keep receipts for all medical expenses in order to file a claim for reimbursement. It is also important that you have access to money (cash or ATM) to cover these “out of pocket” expenses, if needed.
- If you need long term medical care or incur significant medical expenses, you should contact TAP immediately to open a case file. Make sure that your in-country health provider understands the importance of their communicating with Team Assist to facilitate payment.
- If you have questions about the CISI insurance coverage while abroad contact them directly at +1-203-399-5130 firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, the Global Education Office at the Reves Center is only a call or email away +1-757-221-3590 or email@example.com. If you have an emergency after normal working hours, please contact W&M Campus Police at +1-757-221-4596.