The application period for Fall 2017 is closed.
Love William & Mary? Want to welcome new international students to the College? The Reves Center is seeking enthusiastic students to serve as International Peer Leaders for Undergraduate International Student Orientation. International Peer Leaders are volunteers, but gain immeasurable benefits through their service!
As an International Peer Leader, you will:
- Assist William & Mary’s newest international students as they transition to life in the US.
- Serve as a peer leader for a group of new international students.
- Stay in touch with students in your group by email before they arrive, welcome them, and answer their questions about life at William & Mary.
- Provide welcome assistance to new students (this may include leading shopping trips and campus tours, staffing welcome tables, moving students into dorms, etc. Late night check-in assistance will also be needed).
- Lead small group discussions and activities during orientation sessions.
- Check-in with your group of students 3 times (via email or other forms of communication) during the Fall semester.
Why become an International Peer Leader? Share in these benefits:
- Enhance your advising and leadership experience
- Improve your intercultural competence by working with students from different countries
- Gain team-building skills as you lead your group
- Be part of a new international student’s first few days in the US
- All meals will be covered during orientation and Peer Leaders living on-campus will be able to move-in early
- Meet new students and have fun!
International Peer Leaders must be:
- Registered as a W&M student
- Skilled at working in a group environment
- Able to interact comfortably with diverse student populations
- Professional and enthusiastic
- Available for all scheduled orientation events (see calendar below)
- An ambassador for W&M (e.g., knowledgeable and excited about introducing W&M to the new students)
Application Timeline & Calendar for Fall 2017
|Friday, February 3||Peer Leader Application Available|
|Wednesday, March 15 at midnight||Peer Leader Applications Due|
|March 23 & 24||Peer Leader Interviews|
|Wednesday, March 29||Peer Leader Decisions|
|Friday April 14 at 3-5pm||Peer Leader Training|
|Tuesday, August 22||
Orientation Training, Set-up, Welcome Activities
Note: Peer Leaders living on-campus will be able to move in on Monday, August 21 after noon.
|Wednesday, August 23||Orientation Welcome Activities|
|Thursday, August 24||Orientation Sessions|
Thank you for your interest in serving as an International Peer Leader! Questions? Please contact Eva Wong