Registering Your Child for School
Step 1: Find out which school district your child is zoned for
- Children attending public school are assigned to different school districts depending on where your family lives
- By law, your child is required to go to the school designated in that district
- Find out where to enroll your child by looking up your school zone:
Step 2: Register your child for school
- After determining which school your child is zoned for, visit the school’s website for information about registration
- Download and complete the registration form
- You will also usually need to bring the following documents for the registration:
- Child’s birth certificate
- Two documents showing proof of residence (e.g., documents showing your address)
- Medical and immunization record. The child must have the required immunizations before beginning school
- Photo ID of the parent doing the registration
- Bring the completed registration form and required documents to your child’s school. The child does not need to be present at registration
Step 3: Questions to ask
- What time does school begin and ends?
- If your child will ride the school bus, ask information about the bus route (e.g., pick-up and drop-off times, location of bus stop)
- Ask about special programs such as English as a Second Language (ESL) classes, tutoring, after school activities, etc.
- Ask for a school calendar – it will show vacation days, exam days, and half-days.