Close menu Resources for... William & Mary
William & Mary W&M menu close William & Mary

SSNs and Taxes

Social Security Numbers

  • Anyone who plans to work on- or off-campus will need a Social Security Number (SSN) for payment and tax purposes. Social Security Numbers are only granted to those with work authorization. You can apply for a social security card 3 days after arriving in the U.S.
  • How to apply for a SSN: documents and forms
  • Who is eligible to work in the U.S.
    • F-1 students
    • J-1 students
    • J-1 scholars
    • J-2 dependents
    • H-1B employees
  • Learn more about tax requirements