2020-2021 Room Selection
The Room Selection Process occurs in the spring semester for current students returning to campus for the following academic year. The majority of the process is done on-line, so you will be able to select your room from the comfort of your own room or even from another country!
As we approach the time to think about housing for next year, the team in Residence Life would like to share news and information regarding the 2020-2021 process.
Due to the requirement that all sophomores living on campus next year, a small increase in the size of the freshman class, a few rooms being closed for repairs, and relocation of the Modern Languages Houses, Africana House, and Substance Free, there are a number of changes outlined in detail below:
- One Tribe Place is scheduled to reopen Fall 2020.
- Camm Hall will house freshmen next year.
- Basement rooms in Yates, Stith, and Madison Halls will be closed for repairs.
- The Modern Language and Africana Houses will move to residence halls that are ADA accessible in order for students of all abilities to have the opportunity participate in these programs.
- Substance Free Housing will move to Pleasants Hall 1st.
Please take the time to read the following information carefully, as it may impact your decision regarding housing for next year.
The change in the residency requirement from one year to two years means that we must hold enough beds for all freshman and sophomore students. We’ve spent a lot of time considering how to manage the room selection process, which included surveying students in spring 2019.
As in past years, rising seniors & Graduate Students will be the first to choose their rooms, followed by juniors, then sophomores (these designations are by social class, not credit hour standings).
Select rooms will be held back in upper level buildings to ensure that we have enough beds for rising sophomores, with the exclusion of singles and apartments.
We encourage you to carefully read the Housing Updates, and contact Residence Life directly at email@example.com with specific questions.
Housing Information Sessions will be held where we will provide an overview of the process and answer questions in person:
- Housing Contract Do’s & Don’ts Info Sessions
- Tuesday, January 28, 2020 @ 7pm in Commonwealth – Sadler Center
- Wednesday, February 12, 2020 @ 7pm in Tidewater A – Sadler Center
- Roommate Social
- Wednesday, February 19, 2020 @ 7pm in Landrum Lobby
Following the Room Selection Process, housing assignments for returning students who did not participate in room selection are made based on the date the housing application is received by Residence Life and space availability. All new Freshman and Transfer assignments are made in early July by Residence Life.
We look forward to having you live on campus with us next year!