Off Campus Housing Fair
Explore off-campus housing options in a convenient campus location. This is an information-only fair. Ask questions without any pressure to commit!
Financial Aid Representatives will also be on-site to answer individual student questions.
The Off Campus Housing Fair will be on the following dates:
- Tuesday, March 1, 2022 - 3:00pm-5:00pm in Tidewater AB - Sadler Center
- Thursday, March 10, 2022 - 1:00pm-3:00pm - Chesapeake ABC - Sadler Center
- Wenesday, March 23, 2022 - 11:00am-1:00pm - Chesapeake ABC - Sadler Center
What is the wait list?
Being wait-listed does not necessarily mean you won’t be able to live on campus for the 2022-2023 academic year. It does mean, however, that you will not be able to participate in the Room Selection Process at this time.
Students required to live on campus are EXCLUDED from the wait list and opt out processes (Social Class 2025/2026). They are guaranteed and assignment. These will be rising sophomore social class students.
If the demand for housing exceeds the supply of housing, we will wait list students tthrough a random process. We would also ask for volunteers to cancel their housing contract, opting out the Room Selection Process.
If you are wait listed:
- As spaces open, we will issue wait listed students Room Selection time slots and reinstate them into the Room Selection Process. If you are planning to live with a roommate who is not wait listed, they will not be able to hold a space for you or pull you into their room while you are on the wait list.
- Some students will withdraw from the Room Selection Process for a variety of reasons such as study abroad opportunities and other changes to circumstances. When this happens, wait listed students will be contacted with either a Room Selection time slot or assignment offer as these spaces open.
- When students are wait listed, reinstatement status and numbers are also issued randomly as space becomes available. This means there is not an ongoing numbered waiting list. Our assignment system randomly identifies a waitlisted student each time a space is vacated. There is no specific order to the waiting list.
- After the room selection process is complete, wait listed students will be contacted to confirm interest in remaining on the wait list for a room assignment as space becomes available throughout the spring and summer. We will continue to offer housing to wait listed students through August 1, 2022.
- Wait list students are housed before former students, transfer students (with the exception of designated transfer spaces), and currently enrolled students who did not complete a housing contract by February 17, 2022.
- As a wait listed student who is not required to live on campus, you are permitted to seek off-campus housing and request cancellation of your housing application without penalty through August 1, 2022. If you are interested in beginning an off-campus search, we recommended starting with the Williamsburg Off-Campus Housing site.
- To submit a request to cancel your application, please return to the "Request to Cancel" page of your 2022-23 Housing Application on the Housing Portal, read the information listed there, select that you wish to cancel, and click "Save & Continue" at the bottom of the page. After Residence Life staff reviews your request, they will send a confirmation email.
Who's protected?Students protected from the Wait List process for 2022-2023 Room Selection include:
- Students with a medical accommodation that has been documented with Student Accessibility Services in the Dean of Students Office
- Roommates of approved medical housing students
- Spring 2022 study away students
St Andrews William & Mary Joint Degree Programme students
Social Class 2025 & 2026 Required to live on
- Special Interest Housing - Africana House, Language Houses, Mosaic House, and Colonial Williamsburg House
- Fraternity & Sorority Housing
Waiting List FAQs
Why is there a waiting list for housing?
The demand for on campus housing exceeds our available space. The number of students submitted housing applications was much higher than anticipated.
Housing Contract Cancellation Deadline
Cancellation of the 2022-2023 Housing Contract is August 1, 2022 for Juniors and Seniors. The cancellation policy does not apply to freshman or sophomore (by social class).
How many people are on the waiting list?
As of Friday, February 18, the waiting list included about 540 people. We expect this number to change (and decrease) daily as students make decisions regarding their housing and academic plans.
How does the waiting list work?
As space becomes available, our housing assignment system will randomly identify someone from the waiting list pool. We will then notify each person individually, via the housing portal and email, with the offer and instructions on how to accept or decline the offer. It might be easier to think of the waiting list as a “pool” rather than a “list”.
When will I be offered a space on campus?
It is impossible to provide a specific answer this question. Residence Life will continue to make offers to those remaining on the waiting list through August 1, 2022.
How can I find off campus housing?
I thought housing was guaranteed for four years. Is this not true?
In the modern era W&M has never guaranteed housing for four years.
I don’t have a car. How am I supposed to get to and from campus?
WATA (Williamsburg Area Transport Authority) provides free bus transportation to all W&M students. We recommend that as you search for an off-campus location, you consider proximity to a bus stop if you need to use public transport.
What if I can’t afford to live off campus?
There is a wide variety of properties and price points off-campus. We recommend you search for spaces that are suitable to your personal budget.
Moving off-campus & financial aid?
Want to know more about how moving off campus and financial aid works? Review Finanical Aid information and contact the Financial Aid Office.